Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2017 07:00

Dell 8920 256 SSD M.2

I am new and maybe a bit lost.

I just purchased a Dell XPS 8920 SE, with dual drives 256 SSD and 2TB SATA. I had to re-install windows per Dell support due to the system not allowing me to create recovery media or a restore point. I re-install windows and I have both my Drives showing E:/ (256 SSD) and C: (2 TB SATA). When I initially unboxed the tower and powerd it up it had a D;/ labeled DATA. which after the reformat/reinstall has disappeared.

I want to make sure my system is using the SSD to boot and run OS functions, how can I make sure this is setup and functioning that way? The SSD contains all the OS files I believe (see attached photos. I am unsure of how to check and/or set the BIOS settings for confirmation.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

If C: is your conventional hard drive, note that it's where Windows is installed -- it's not on your SSD.

You may want to disconnect the hard drive, and leaving only the  SSD connected -- then install Windows.  Once that's done, reconnect the hard drive and use it for storage as you wish to do.

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 17:00

I'll re-check in the am. I wrote the post at midnight so I might have been a bit foggy.

No Events found!