Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2009 19:00

Dell 9200 bad or missing hal.dll means I have a big paper weight now

Hours after a recent Windows automatic update 5 days ago (perhaps a coincidence), I rebooted the computer and it has never booted again.

I have never understood how with 1 drive my 9200 is using RAID0. I tried repeatedly trying to boot from the harddrive.

I tried booting from a Windows XP disk, and it says loading files.... it gets to the Starting Windows part, and then the blue screen of death with a STOP: 0x0000007B error

I even tried booting from a Win 7 RC iso and tried installing that = no go.

I went out an bouight a new Hard drive, loaded the XP disk, tried to format and install P on the new HDD, Windows would not install. The install process never gets that far.

I tried re-booting and using CTRL+F11 to reinstall the Dell Factory image = that wont work (although it has worked in the past because I tried it

I rebooted and did CTRL + ALT + D to run the HD diagnostics and the drive passed.

I tried moving the SATA cable for the boot drive from one socket on the motherboard to another one, the computer wouldn't

Now I am at my wits end, and have no idea what to try next. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

14.4K Posts

July 9th, 2009 19:00

Boot into the bios and check the setting for SATA operation. It should be set to Raid Auto detect/ATA

July 10th, 2009 14:00

Thanks Dave for your reply.

I (reluctantly) followed your suggestion, because after all... what harm could it do ... and although I can not boot from the hard drive, when I put the WinXP cd in the drive, the windows setup no longer crashes with a STOP error and a Blue Screen of deaths

If It successfully installs XP then the next step I think is an immediate install of Win7 RC.

Thanks again, your tip may have stopped me from having to go out an buy one of those new I7 with 12GB ram a 2TB harddrives and double 30" monitors

(lol)

PS:  Windows XP just got to the point where it says it will be complete in 39 minutes (cry to self)

14.4K Posts

July 10th, 2009 15:00

well here's  to hoping it will all continue to go smooth.

Now as to the next step do not do any windows updates yet. instead follow the step HERE to reload your drivers.

Then once you have all your drivers reloaded go ahead and start doing you windows updates. If your install disk has sp1 in it then the next step would be to download SP2 and install that. Then after that is up and running, stop for the moment and give the system a test drive to make sure things are going ok . Once you feel the system is running good finish your updates.

the only programs i would say to install would be a virus program and use the windows fire wall for the moment. Don't know what you use for firewall/anti virus but if it is a suite like Norton or Mcafee i would recommend not installing them until you are fully windowed updated.

No Events found!