Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 3rd, 2015 06:00

Dell Backup and Recovery

Has Dell Backup and Recovery v1.8.x.x., update to v1.7.x.x. premium been released? Will it automatically update the version already on the computer or do I have to log on to dell.com to update it manually? My problem is that Dell Backup and Recovery still does not recognize the USB external drive,which I attached to the computer; the hard drive C does recognize it but not Dell Backup and Recovery. A post mentions the update v1.8 as a remedy for the issue I have been experiencing

1.8K Posts

December 4th, 2015 12:00

Hi,

Here is a link to Dell Backup and Recover Version 1.8.1.71, A00.

Here is a link to the support article discussing DBAR and what improvements are available in the newer version. I don't know specifically what enhancements were made to this version but hopefully it will recognize your USB drive now.

I hope this helps.

Todd

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

December 5th, 2015 04:00

Thank you for the information. I checked the operating system requirements of version 1.8.x.x.; Windows 10, which is installed on my computer is not shown in the list of compatible operating systems; from this I gather that new version of Dell Backup and Recovery does not support my OS. Could this be the reason why version 1.7.x.x.x on my computer does not recognize the USB external hard drive, which   I complained about in my previous post ? 

1.8K Posts

December 6th, 2015 14:00

Thank you for the information. I checked the operating system requirements of version 1.8.x.x.; Windows 10, which is installed on my computer is not shown in the list of compatible operating systems; 

Hi,

I didn't realize you had upgraded to Windows 10.   Please check out this support article about Dell Backup & Recovery with Windows 10.  It provides a link to DBaR 1.9, which is the version compatible with systems that upgraded to Windows 10.   It may provide the resolution you're looking for.

Todd

98 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 11:00

I am still on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

What Version of Dell Backup and Recovery should I be using?

If I have already updated Dell Backup and Recovery to 1.9.2.8, how would I go back to an earlier Version that is more compatible with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 04:00

Hi Donald,

Try this link.

98 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 10:00

Pardon me for my denseness.

I had already seen that link & even printed it.

But, I still don't see the answer to my Question.

Since I am already on Version 1.9.2.8 of Dell Backup and Recovery (updated to that from Version 1.8.1.70) - should I just keep what I have for use in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit?

Or should I un-install the Version 1.9.2.8 of Dell Backup and Recovery & re-install a 1.8xxx Version?

Even simpler if I could just install a Version 1.8 over the Version 1.9.2.8?  Or, is that not possible?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 24th, 2016 16:00

Ok, so you have version 1.9.2.8. Does it work? Are you planning to upgrade to Win 10?

98 Posts

January 25th, 2016 13:00

I do have Version 1.9.2.8.

I assume it works, but I really do not use Dell Backup and Recovery for anything.

I will eventually upgrade to Win 10 -  but not anytime soon.

The problem I am having is with the 2 Drives being created since Dell requires that they be assigned Drive Letters - See my 1-24-16 post in this thread.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19623643?pi21953=2

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 25th, 2016 16:00

I'm not sure why drive letters were created for those partitions. They're not Windows partitions so you probably shouldn't see them in disk management. As long as you've created a recovery disc set or flash drive, you should not need to maintain back-ups of those partitions.

March 1st, 2016 01:00

Hi there!

First of all, forgive my ignorance.

I do not really know how to get my problem solved with my Dell Backup & Recovery Premium 1.9.2.8 version, so I hope you will be able to help me.

I have a Dell XPS12, Win 8.1. Pro, 256 GB SDD. I was able to do a data backup, a bootable backup, a instant restore snapshot, but not able to do a system backup. The operation gets cancelled after about 5 to 10 minutes into the backup sequence telling the destination location is unavailable or not enough space on the disk.

Since I was able to do a data back up, I do not think that the destination location is unavailable. Also I have over 256 GB of free memory on my destination external hard drive.

Looking forward to your input. Many thanks!

Anton (<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

April 15th, 2016 00:00

If I may add my two cents, I just posted the following which is awaiting moderation given that it is my first post.

Regrettably I learned too late that Dell Backup & Recovery 'might' encounter problems in Windows 10 if a user did not update 'DBaR' version 1.9.2.8 before an upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10. I have a Dell Inspiron 3647.

When I only select a few files to backup (e.g., pics, docs and a few apps) it would backup to my 32 GB USB flash error free.

But when I try a significant back up -- e.g., 8 GBs -- I get a display after 20 minutes, or so, that the backup created an error. [head scratch]

Even something less challenging for DBaR like running a Factory Recovery Media backup resulted in the same error. Yet using the Windows 10 Control Panel Recovery app completed a backup error free.

I tried more than one USB flash, I ran Dell Update, defragged my hard drive, disabled firewall and AV protection. Nothing seemed to help.

Am I correct to assume that Dell Backup & Recovery 'might' encounter problems in Windows 10?

Sure would be nice to at least backup costly apps like Microsoft Office.

Michael T.

Software Engineer (retired)

No Events found!