Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2010 17:00

Dell D800 does not recognize new 250GB hard drive.

I installed a new Western Digital 250GB Hard Drive in my Latitude D800 laptop after flashing the BIOS to Rev. A13. I am booting with DOS disk to format the new drive but the BIOS does not see the new hard drive. If I F2 boot to setup without the drive installed the Primary Hard Drive : None, F2 boot with with drive installed Primary Hard Drive: 137GB. I would appreciate any help possible since Western Digital does not provide 3rd party assistance. I have tried to format the drive in three D800's. Thanks   

6.4K Posts

May 21st, 2010 19:00

Regrettably, the BIOS for the D800 will not support hard drives larger than 137 GB.  It lacks the required 48 bit LBA algorithm.

You can still use the larger drive provided that the operating system you are using has its own 48 bit LBA drivers.  For Windows XP this means the installation disk must have at least Service Pack 1 incorporated into it.  Using such a disk allows you to format the entire drive despite the absence of support from the BIOS.  The reliability of the installation, however, is sometimes less than desired and it would be wise to keep backups of your data.  Many owners make at least two partitions in order to give the operating system its own space entirely below the 137 GB boundary.  In this way if the installation does crash you can still repair or reinstall the operating system while leaving the data on the second partition intact.

2 Posts

January 4th, 2017 10:00

Im late but I am also rebuilding my D810. the D800 has a BIOS A13? I thought A05-

Anyways- Are there any updates fro XP-Pro I can find online since Windows no longer supports?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 4th, 2017 11:00

XP updates ceased on April 9, 2015.  

It is a completely unsupported OS now.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 4th, 2017 12:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.

No Events found!