Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2016 11:00

Dell Inspiron 14 3452 NO HDD or Connector to install one!!!

Ok, I am usually VERY happy with Dell laptops as I have owned several, and I recently picked up an Inspiron 14 3452 and I went to install a large SSD and there's NO drive in it and NO connector for one either? ***?????

Who in Dell had there head in their lower orifice to come up with something like this? I want to install windows 7 on it but I don't have a clue? I put 4GB ram in it but there's not enough room on whatever they're using for storage in this POS. I think it's embedded storage and I read that you can add an SD card for additional storage but I don't see a slot for it? I have a 200GB SD card but where does it go and can I use it as a HDD to run windows 7?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to have to throw this thing in the dumpster and go buy a real laptop. Very misleading advertising on this thing!

Very disappointedly,

Tom

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 8th, 2016 14:00

The system is available with either an embedded MMC card (32G) or with a hard drive.  Whichever you purchase, the other part cannot be added later.  The mainboard would have to be changed - the eMMC version has no hard drive support, while the hard drive version has no eMMC.

The media card can be used for storage but not as a boot device.  32G is just barely enough space to run Windows and perhaps Office - but anything else will need to go on the SD card (the socket for it is on the left side of the system toward the front.

The eMMC version is essentially a glorified tablet with a built in keyboard - it's not (and isn't designed to be) a full notebook PC, something that's reflected in the price of the system.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2018 22:00

I just want to ask what to do when the mmc card is deleted and I can not install the operating system after it has been deleted and the image is formatted. The error is "Windows can not be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk." Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu. " Is there another solution to repair my laptop?

Thank you for answering the question.

2 Posts

May 4th, 2019 19:00

i tore mine down and there is a place on mb that is printed HDD1 and if you flip the board over at that location is a flat ribbon cable connection i found this!!.....https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4R28T04754&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-HOYAN-_-Accessories+-+Notebooks%2FTablet+PCs-_-9SIA4R28T04754&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4vC3nK-D4gIVDdlkCh3c2g9rEAQYAyABEgIRAPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

the connection is actually right beside the wlan connector on the opposite side of board you cannot see it without taking the board completely out which is a sort of daunting task but i think its worth it .

2 Posts

May 4th, 2019 20:00

in the bios settings under security disable secure boot and under storage i think you is the setting to add a boot device which you can add a usb or sata device, if that doesnt get it back to security and look for enable legacy boot rom this takes away the UEFI bios and goes back to the old school boot options. hope this helps

1 Message

June 18th, 2019 09:00

That connector is for the I/O board, not the SATA drive. On the eMMC version both the SATA connector and its control chip are missing, so adding the connector won't work. 

No Events found!