Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2008 20:00

Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron Version / Hidden Partition Problems

Fellow Posters my friend accidentally reformated and deleted her FAT/FAT32 hidden partition which is called DellUtility, but the (CP/M, Concurrent DOS, CTOS drive) which is called DELLRestore is still good. Correct me if I'm wrong most Dell Inspiron 1501 that has a Windows XP Home comes with no recover CD and its harddrive is usually divided into 3 partitions first is a FAT/FAT32 where the recover.exe is located, second the active partition where most of our data is stored and third the DELLRestore where an image of our system is stored. This version of the 1501 did not come with a recovery CD. Can anybody help me create a restoration CD using the saved image on the DELLRESTORE drive or any help or solution will be a great help. I'm doing this because she would like to use the same Operating System that came along with her Laptop and the problem is that it did not come with a OS recovery disk. Thanks for always being helpful...Hope to be of assistance in the future..

950 Posts

November 16th, 2008 09:00

As long as the Dell restore partition is intact and the restore image is there she is ok.

Dan Goodell posts on here and has a website with instructions on how to rebuild the Dell utility partition and the Dell restore partition.

Your friend had deleted the 1st partition which is the utility partition..about 30megs big.

The easiest way to fix this is to use Ghost 10 to restore the image to the hard drive. You would boot with the Ghost CD see the image file on the last partition and restore it to the OS C: partition.

If your are technically inclined and want to rebuild the system so it uses the Dell Symantec restore utility...i.e. pressing the CTRL F11 keys to start the restore...you need to use Dan Goodell's method. I have incluced the link here to that info.

I have used his method and I am an advanced user. It was time consuming but not hard to do if you are used to using DOS commands.

Any further questions just ask. here is the link.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

No Events found!