Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 15th, 2005 07:00

Dell Inspiron 6000 cannot read cd-drive...

my cd-drive is all powered up, but the error message states "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)." What can I do to solve this problem? I read other messages saying something about the filters, but I do not understand it. Can someone clarify the step by step of what I can do.
thanks,
-Tung

14.4K Posts

September 15th, 2005 08:00

Okay, you will need to do this.

Go to start> run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes) then press ok.

1) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values by:

a) Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it.

b) Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

c) Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

d) Expand the "Control" Key

e) Expand the "Class" Key

f) Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
g) Highlight this key by left clicking once on it

h) On the right hand side you are looking for "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters", once you find these please delete them by high lighting (left clicking on them once) and then right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

NB only one key may be present but still delete it.

Restart your computer.

September 15th, 2005 15:00

thanks a lot...within 5 minutes, my problem is fixed! This saved me a lot of time and money. You are such a great help. I asked other people in the building, and even the person with the best knowledge of computers couldn't even know what the problem was. Once again, thanks a lot!
-Tung

14.4K Posts

September 15th, 2005 18:00

:smileyhappy:

2 Posts

September 16th, 2005 00:00

Hello. I am new and hoping for help.  Read Bacillus reply to Tungpham.  I have same problem but Inspiron 5150.  I found my CD drive Samsung SC-148C in Device Mgr but it has a yellow caution sign on it!   I followed Bacillus' instructions for procedure in "regedit" and found the file 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.  But on the right side I found only one Upperfilter/Lowerfilter (forgot which one).  I froze and didn't go any further.  Should I have seen two "filters" and would this remedy apply to a 5150 as well?    Thank you very much.  

14.4K Posts

September 16th, 2005 08:00

@nikijj wrote:
Hello. I am new and hoping for help.  Read Bacillus reply to Tungpham.  I have same problem but Inspiron 5150.  I found my CD drive Samsung SC-148C in Device Mgr but it has a yellow caution sign on it!   I followed Bacillus' instructions for procedure in "regedit" and found the file 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.  But on the right side I found only one Upperfilter/Lowerfilter (forgot which one).  I froze and didn't go any further.  Should I have seen two "filters" and would this remedy apply to a 5150 as well?    Thank you very much.  

Sometimes only one of the filter keys is present but you nevertheless still delete it then reboot your computer.

4 Posts

September 17th, 2005 04:00

Help, I deleted the string {4D36E965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} on the left side of the registry.  However, I did not delete the right side of the pane Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.  They are not in the Recycle Bin so I can't recall the keys.  How can I delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters associated with these keys. I found 4 of the same keys under Sony, Toshiba, and 2 under Yamaha.
Can anyone help please?  Thanks,

2 Posts

September 17th, 2005 11:00

To Bacillus:   Thank you so much!   It worked!   The computer person who looked at my machine said the drive was "bad".   Submitted order for new drive $139 + shipping, plus $90 for install.  Can I say thank you enough?   Niki

14.4K Posts

September 17th, 2005 12:00

@nikijj wrote:
To Bacillus:   Thank you so much!   It worked!   The computer person who looked at my machine said the drive was "bad".   Submitted order for new drive $139 + shipping, plus $90 for install.  Can I say thank you enough?   Niki

You are welcome .  :smileyhappy:
No Events found!