Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2013 11:00

Dell Inspiron HDD Failure

My sons Inspiron 1520 HDD has given up and whilst a replacement is relatively inexpensive, the machine wasn't shipped with any CD media so don't have a Windows XP disk to re-install the OS.  Additionally the windows product key sticker seems to have been placed in a hot spot on the base of the laptop and is unreadable, any suggestions on how I can re-install XP from a generic disk ?

3 Posts

January 28th, 2013 08:00

Unfortunately this o ly applies to the US and I live in the UK.  Spoke with Dell Tech Support this morning and purchased a replacement HDD, whilst it was more slightly more expensive than buying direct from hardware dealers,  Dell did include  next day delivery and offered to throw in replacement XP media and specific hardware driver for free.

January 25th, 2013 13:00

You need to use only a Dell OS CD. CD key is inscribed in the BIOS so no need to type the CD key from bottom of the PC/Sticker. If you use a Microsoft provided OS CD - you need the CD key provided by them.

Try this link to get Replacement CD from Dell.

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form.

Get the Drivers from support site and other applications using the following link.

smartsource.dell.com/.../Welcome.aspx

3 Posts

January 25th, 2013 13:00

Thanks Veejdeej, will give it a try.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 27th, 2013 02:00

See my guide WIndows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of WIndows XP for best results:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx

No Events found!