Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2017 10:00

Dell Optiplex 745 only has Ultra DMA modes?

I ask this question elsehere, but i guess it was in the wrong forum. Some of my games work perfectly, i can watch videos in 1080p/1440p just fine, but some games work terrible, not to mention i am getting massive sound stuttering and crackling everywhere, i didn't have this issue really using 32bit OS. But using 64bit it seems to be the case, so i am curious about this. Is my dell optiplex only able to use Ultra DMA 6 and 5, nothing above to Sata full.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 20th, 2017 11:00

How much RAM does the system have?

Bear in mind that a 64 bit OS has a larger footprint than a 32-bit one -- if it has only 4G, you may well find there's actually less RAM available to the OS than with a 32-bit OS.

Beyond that, this is a fairly old SATA system -- among the first SATA systems.  It wasn't uncommon for SATA to have been implemented with a SATA to IDE bridge at that point -- before full AHCI support became available on chipsets and the mainboards designed around them.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2017 14:00

Guess you're right, old mb. I'm going to upgrade a new mb more up to date one next month or new dell computer. Cheers.

Oh 4gb ddr2 memory. The memory isn't the issue though , i had another computer a more up to date hp computer 2 years ago and never had this issue, so yea its the mb just being too slow overall.

No Events found!