Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2003 14:00

Dell Optiplex GX1 PII 450 - Install of Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital 120 or 250 GB Hard Drive

I am trying to decide which hard drive to buy for my Dell Optiplex GX1 PII mmx 450 (Version A10 Bios).  It has the Intel 440BX PIIx4e chipset inside the midsize chassis with passive riser board.

I'd like to install a large harddrive (120 or 250).  I will partition it in whatever way I need to and will install whatever operating system would be the best.   The PC only has 128 MB of memory but I will upgrde that too if I need to.

The harddrives I'm considering are the Seagate 120 Ultra ATA, the Western Digital 120 or 250 GB and the Maxtor 120 or 250 GB.

I was hoping to get your advice.  Has anyone every got any of these to work on a PC like mine?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 12th, 2003 21:00

GX1 bios does not support drives that large.

There are also 48bit LBA problems.

WIN9X needs a patch and will not support partitions larger than 80 gigs.

Windows 2000/XP will not format Fat32 partitions larger than about 30Gigs.

It will format NTFS partitions larger than that.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2003 18:00

So are you saying that you can use a 120 gig drive as long as it is win2000/xp with a ntfs partion?

thank you!       if not is there a controler card that can be added to the system that will allow 120 gig install

Message Edited by riozip2 on 11-21-2003 03:17 PM

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2003 22:00

@riozip2 wrote:

So are you saying that you can use a 120 gig drive as long as it is win2000/xp with a ntfs partion?

thank you!       if not is there a controler card that can be added to the system that will allow 120 gig install

Message Edited by riozip2 on 11-21-2003 03:17 PM

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0003337&cs=19&c=us&l=en?order_code=DTAFD&DGVCode=SS

The Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card from Maxtor® satisfies your system's need for speed by adding two ports with data transfer rates up to 133 MBps. Working with your existing motherboard, this PCI card enables you to connect up to four additional IDE devices to your system including hard drives, CD-ROMs, and most other UDMA 133/100/66/33 or ATAPI devices. The ?auto-identity? feature provides instant recognition for fast and hassle-free setup. Advanced CRC error correction improves high-speed data transfers, and dual independent channel PCI IDE bus master controllers offer reliable data throughput. The Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card is easy to install ? simply plug your card into an empty PCI slot and you?re ready to go.

Manufacturer Part# K01PCAT133
Dell Part# A0003337

Also note the Big IDE enabler

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/big_drive_enabler.htm

File Name: big_drive_enabler.exe
File Download Size: 64 KB
File Version: 1.0.3.1
Revision Date: 04/02/03
Compatible Operating Systems: WindowsXP, Windows2000

Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler is a one step executable that enables support for drives larger than 137 Gigabytes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and XP Service Pack 1. This utility takes the guess work out of editing the Windows registry. The Big Drive Enabler fixes an operating system limitation. This utility is needed anytime a Hard Disk Drive larger than 137 GB is connected to the motherboard's ATA bus, regardless of any system BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA.

Note: Failure to install the required service packs and install the Enable Big LBA patch can result in data loss when accessing the hard disk beyond 137 Gigabytes. For more information regarding Windows limitations and the 137 Gigabyte barrier please read Maxtor Knowledge Base Answer ID 960 and Microsoft Knowledge Base Article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=303013

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2003 09:00

thank you!

11 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 17:00

Thanks,  I went ahead an installed a Maxtor 250 GB HD that came with a Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card.  I'm using Windows 2000 Prof. Service pack 4.  I used the Maxblast software to partition the drive into partitions of 41 GB each.  The install was easy and everything seems to be working fine.

I didn't run the Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler.  I didn't think I had to since I'm using the PCI Adapter Card.  Is that right?  

Thanks for all your input!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 1st, 2003 14:00

@Stickham wrote:

Thanks,  I went ahead an installed a Maxtor 250 GB HD that came with a Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card.  I'm using Windows 2000 Prof. Service pack 4.  I used the Maxblast software to partition the drive into partitions of 41 GB each.  The install was easy and everything seems to be working fine.

I didn't run the Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler.  I didn't think I had to since I'm using the PCI Adapter Card.  Is that right?  

Thanks for all your input!

No I dont think thats right. 48bit LBA is NOT supported by default on 2000 or XP.

http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q305/0/98.asp

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Windows Most All need Patches. Win95 Supports 30 Gigs Max. This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.Important Although support for 48-bit LBA is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later, it is still REQUIRED to create the registry change .

The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
A computer with a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed.
A computer with a hard disk that has a capacity of greater than 137 gigabytes (GB).
You must enable the support in the Windows registry by adding or changing the EnableBigLba registry value to 1 in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1

Quit Registry Editor.
NOTE: If you enable 48-bit LBA ATAPI support by editing the preceding registry key, but your system does not meet the minimum requirements, you may observe the following behaviors:
Operating systems that do not have 48-bit LBA support enabled by default (such as Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), or Windows 2000) that are installed on a partition that spans beyond the 28-bit LBA boundary (137GB) will experience data corruption or data loss.
The installation of operating systems that do not have 48-bit LBA support enabled by default (such as Windows 98, Windows Me, or Windows 2000) on a partition that is beyond the 28-bit LBA boundary (137 GB) is unsuccessful and leaves behind a temporary installation folder.
If you install hotfixes that enable 48-bit LBA before you install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3), the appropriate registry key will be automatically created during the installation of SP3 to preserve the data integrity of the hard disk.
After you enable 48-bit LBA support by adding the appropriate registry key, data corruption may occur if you remove the registry key or if you remove (uninstall) SP3 for Windows 2000.
If you install a copy of Windows 2000 that includes SP3 (SP3 integrated) on a large hard disk that has already been preformatted by using a 48-bit LBA-enabled operating system, the ATAPI subsystem may report hard-disk space greater than that which is addressable without the 48-bit LBA support (larger than approximately 137 GB) during the text-mode portion of Setup. In this case, the hard disk's partition table information has already been created. To fix the incorrect disk information, delete the partition by using either a disk partitioning utility or by deleting and then re-creating the partition during the text-mode portion of Setup. After you create the new partition, quit Setup by pressing F3, and then restart the Windows installation process. The ATAPI subsystem now correctly shows approximately 137 GB of hard disk space.
The EnableBigLba registry value is disabled:

Windows does not support 48Bit LBA by Default. 

Drives larger than 130 gigs will have data corruption problems and not
be seen at all and will only format NTFS if they format at all.

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=960

Problem
The full capacity of ATA drives larger than 137GB is not recognized by the operating system.

Solution
Currently, there are three options to remedy the 137 Gigabyte barrier. Failure to implement one of the following installation options will result in data loss when trying to access the hard disk beyond 137 Gigabytes.

Installation Option 1. Upgrade the operating system to either Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 (or newer) or Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (or newer) and download the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler software patch. The Maxtor Big Drive Enabler, once executed, will update the Windows registry for large drive support.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/big_drive_enabler.htm

Installation Option 2. Download and install the Intel Application accelerator. The Intel Application Accelerator provides 48-Bit LBA compliant ATA/ATAPI controller drivers (IntelATA.mpd) and replaces the Windows 98/Me, 2000 and XP ATA controller drivers (ESDI_506.PDR). Intel is the only chipset manufacturer that we are aware of that offers a compatible controller driver for Windows .

The Intel Application Accelerator only supports the following chipsets: 810, 810E, 810E2, 810L, 815, 815EP, 815G, 815EG, 815P, 820, 820E, 840, 845, 845E, 845G, 845GE, 845GL, 845GV, 845PE, 850, 850E, 860. The Intel Application Accelerator can be obtained at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/. If you have an unsupported chipset or do not want to upgrade the operating system then try the next solution.

Installation Option 3: Attach the large hard drive to an add-in Ultra ATA PCI adapter card with a 48-Bit LBA compliant BIOS and controller driver. The adapter card bypasses the system BIOS and operating system’s controller driver and uses its own BIOS and controller driver.

Using an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller that has a 48-Bit LBA compatible controller driver will allow safe use of large drives beyond the previous limits of 137 GB capacity. Additional controllers that do not have 48-Bit compliant drivers cannot safely access drives larger than 137 GB. A compatible card such as the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI for Windows and Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 PCI Card for MACs can be purchased at http://www.maxstore.com (U.S. only) or at a local retailer.

11 Posts

January 31st, 2004 20:00

At the bottom where it says:

Installation Option 3: Attach the large hard drive to an add-in Ultra ATA PCI adapter card with a 48-Bit LBA compliant BIOS and controller driver. The adapter card bypasses the system BIOS and operating system’s controller driver and uses its own BIOS and controller driver.

Using an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller that has a 48-Bit LBA compatible controller driver will allow safe use of large drives beyond the previous limits of 137 GB capacity. Additional controllers that do not have 48-Bit compliant drivers cannot safely access drives larger than 137 GB. A compatible card such as the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI for Windows and Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 PCI Card for MACs can be purchased at http://www.maxstore.com (U.S. only) or at a local retailer.

I'm sorry when I said I installed a Ultra ATA/133 pci adapter card.   What I actually installed was the Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card.  And I think that the bios is bypassed.  The drive is not connected to the motherboards ATA bus at all now.   Let me know If you still think I need to run the Big Drive Enabler.  I haven't noticed any problems but I want to avoid any potential data loss.

Maxtors site regarding Big Drive Enabler says:

Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler is a one step executable that enables support for drives larger than 137 Gigabytes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and XP Service Pack 1. This utility takes the guess work out of editing the Windows registry. The Big Drive Enabler fixes an operating system limitation. This utility is needed anytime a Hard Disk Drive larger than 137 GB is connected to the motherboard's ATA bus, regardless of any system BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA.

1 Message

June 15th, 2004 04:00

I wanted to install a 160 gigabyte Maxtor Hard drive in my Optiplex gx1 system with a10 BIOS revision. I am going to run it off of a supplied ata 133 controller card that came with this drive. I wanted to know if I will be able to boot my computer off of the controller card. In other words I wanted to run windows from my new drive. Or will I be limited to just using the new 160 gig Maxtor as extra storage?

Any help would be appreciated.

--Eric
No Events found!