Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2011 20:00

Dell Reinstallation CD for XP Home w/SP3 not recognized!

I have a Dimension 8400 running XP Home w/SP3 and once or twice a month, I try to bring my Windows XP Home OS back up to snuff by using the "sfc /scannow" process.  When asked for during this process a day or so ago to insert my Dell Reinstallation CD containing Windows XP Home Edition w/SP3, I got the message that I have inserted the wrong CD and to replace it with the correct one.  I have used this particular CD many, many times before and this is the first time that I have ever received the message that it was the wrong CD.  I have checked out my CD-ROM drive and it appears to be in good running order when inserting another CD that I have.  Can anyone give me an idea as to how I can get my Dell Reinstallation CD to be recognized once more when running the "sfc /scannow" process?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 15th, 2011 06:00

Hi Elbojon,

Are you able to boot to XP on this computer? If so, let me suggest you back up your files and perform a PC Restore. This will restore your factory hard drive image.

29 Posts

February 15th, 2011 21:00

Hello Osprey 4 -

Thanks a lot for your reply to my inquiry.  I have a few times over the years (since using Windows XP Home from it's inception) performed a System Restore to my Dimension 8400 and guess that it could be done again.  It is a pain, however,usually taking a couple of days to get everything back the way I like it.  And yes, I also use a couple of different off site backup storage programs and should have no difficulties with reinstallation of what has been saved.  In the past, it has been the pain of downloading and reinstallation of all of the various programs that I use let alone all of the XP Home updates that Microsoft has come out with over the years as well.  I recently bought a copy of Acronis True Image Home 2011 (a PC Backup and Recovery program) that has been highly recommended and I will get started using that very shortly.  I am sure that it will do the trick once I know how it works.

Regards -

Elbojon

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 16th, 2011 04:00

My suggestion would be to perform a clean reinstallation of the OS, drivers and applications, then use Acronis to make a backup of that drive image. Going forward, you would only need to restore that image to accomplish you goal of cleaning up the system.

No Events found!