Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2011 04:00

Dell lies me with Hard Driver serial number ST31000340AS

I am upset with Dell.

I bought a XPS 430 two years ago and for that now I haven´t got any guarantee.

But they knew there was an error in my hard driver serial number ST31000340AS, and nobody from Dell contacted me to tell me that and now the hard driver is broken and all my works files are missing when if  they had communicated me this situation never happened.

I want to share this information to prevent anyone else would this happen. And of course I am going to complain it in the consumer office in Spain where I am from.

And to end I would encourage others who have the same problem to report it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi cricral,

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Do you need help finding a replacement hard drive for your XPS 430?

4 Posts

In addition I already have complained to Dell and now I am waiting for an answer. Once I have a response I will communicate it to all of you.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2011 05:00

No, thank you very much I have already bought one. I need to recover the information of my broken hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

I believe you are referring to the firmware problems known to this model. There is a firmware update in downloads, which I presume you failed to check.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way, but of course, since Dell has provided the firmware as well as instructions on how to find and install them, then I believe the burden is on the consumer to apply this update.

Good luck!

4 Posts

I could not check because no one told me.

So this is the responsibility of Dell because they have sold a defective product and they didn´t tell me to correct it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 10th, 2011 08:00

The rest of the issue:  firmware failure or hardware failure, if you didn't keep a backup, that's not Dell's responsibility - nor is data recovery in case of drive failure (whatever caused that).

No computer manufacturer will warrant your data.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 14th, 2011 14:00

I am sure, that when you bought your system, the Dell sales guy offered you a warranty. And if you didn't choose it, that is not their fault either.

I also have a Dell XPS 430MT which I bought in 2009. I bought a 4 year warranty with accident protection. And I've not experienced the issue you described. And unless Windows 7 did it for me, I've not upgraded the firmware for my harddrives.

Perhaps you did get a bad drive. Hard drives to go bad sometimes, for a variety of reasons. But it's not Dell's fault you didn't get a longer warranty than two years.

Also, harddrives are cheap. You can get a 2TB replacements for $70.00. If that's the only thing that died on your pc when it's out of warranty, you got lucky!!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 15th, 2011 13:00

ST31000340AS is not the serial number it is the SEAGATE part number for a DRIVE.

Seagate Baracuda NCQ 1000GB / 1TB 7.2K SATA Hard Drive ST31000340AS

No Events found!