Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2010 08:00

Desperately seeking driver (CD/DVD ROM), OPTIPLEX GX280

Hi Folks,

I've just had my Optiplex GX280 put onto Windows 7. Going into "My computer" there is no icon of a CD/DVD drive. It worked fine on XPPro just before Windows 7 was installed. Googling, I cannot find any driver for an Optiplex GX280 CD/DVD ROM.

I'm aware that this might be too much of an ask, but does anyone out there know where I might get a driver, or the best way to go about it. I've viewed DELL Support: their web page acknowledges some drivers for Windows 7 and some DELL, but not mine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? I'd very much appreciate some help.

Best Wishes,

Mart42

6.4K Posts

May 27th, 2010 12:00

The files you will find on the Dell site for optical drives are not generally drivers, but firmware updates for specific models.  The drivers for the optical drives are included in Windows and have been since at least Windows 95.

Have you gone to the Device Manager to see if you have an unknown device, or if your drive is listed but has an error indication?  This might help lead you to a solution.

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2010 09:00

Thanks for your help, JackShaw.

The DVD/CD-ROM is listed in Device Manager, but the driver has an exclamation mark on it (despite it being the latest from Update Driver):

"TSSTcorpCDRW/DVD TSL462C ATA Device"

I think I need to find the Manufacturer of the DVD/CD-ROM and ask them.....do you have any other ideas ?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,

mARTIN

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2010 17:00

Hi Mart42,

If you'll go to the CD/DVD FAQ (link below), and follow the instructions for a "code 39 error", that should solve this issue.

No Events found!