Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

ZM

December 3rd, 2008 19:00

Dimension 2400 CD-ROM and DVD/RW drive no longer recognized?

Help!!!  All of a sudden I can't use either of my optical drives.  When I look for them under the Device Manager, there is a black exclamation point in a yellow background next to them.  When I click on either of them there is the following message: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I've tried the troubleshooting procedure of uninstalling the device and then reinstalling it.   Didn't work.   I've tried downloading updated drivers from the Dell website to my PC.  However, when I select update drivers, the darn PC can't even find them.  I've even manually selected the folder the new drivers are in, but it still doesn't find them.

Is there anything I can do??

Thanks.

-Ziggy

6.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 21:00

Very glad you got it working.  Good luck to you!

6.4K Posts

11 Posts

Thanks.   Actually, I was able to find others on this forum who had the same problem.  I just followed the advice they were offered and the problem was self-corrected within a few seconds.  Gotta love it!    Turns out it was some corrupted firmware.   Microsoft support was able to self diagnose the problem and correct it in 2 seconds.  CD & DVD drives are whirring away once again.

1 Message

December 18th, 2008 05:00

Hi Ziggy-MIT,

I seem to be having the same issue as u've described above. After burning a CD with Nero8 I can no longer gey my DVD/CD-ROM to read any data on the disk. I know that there is power to the drive and that data is being sent as I can eject it from windows explorer, ie by right-clicking on the drive and selecting 'eject'.

I've installed the latest drivers from Dell for the device although to no avail.

You've mentioned in your post that you had managed to find a fix for this (for ur problem anyway) but u haven't mentioned what that fix is or where I might find it in the forums. I've done a search and can't find anything I'm afraid so if you would, please could you inform me on how you managed to come to a solution and get ur CD&DVD drives to a whirring state once again.

Thanks

11 Posts

December 18th, 2008 06:00

Turns out I wasn't able to solve all of my problems, after all.  I was able to get back full use of my CD-ROM drive and now my DVD/RW drive at least can play pre-recorded DVD's.  However, I still can't burn anything on my DVD drive.  Whenever I install a blank disk the drive doesn't recognize there is anything in it.  I've tried all types of blank discs, but none work (CD-R, CD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW)

Anyway, here's the link to the Microsoft support page that worked for me.  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060  I'm using Windows XP.  I was able to use the Guided Help section, which only took a few seconds and the computer automatically corrected everything.  Just click on "Download Guided Help" and hopefully it will work for you too.

Good luck,

Ziggy

1 Message

June 29th, 2009 17:00

Follow this link and download the fixit program it helped me with the same problem.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

No Events found!