Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2008 14:00

Dimension 8200. Hard Drive does not spin...Sends me to F2(Setup) Everytime I Boot Up???

How can I be sure that my hard drive is shot?  This problem started instantly one day, and I've never been able to boot up since. When I try to boot, I get 2 choices...F1(continue), or F2(setup). The hard drive never spins(i don't think) If I choose continue, it just goes in a loop back to the 2 choices. If I go into setup and try to change around the boot sequence, still nothing happens. Is my hard drive gone?

And can I go to a local store and buy a hard drive off the shelf?  Do I have to buy from Dell only?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 12th, 2008 19:00

tim5ny

It sounds like the hard drive is toast.

See if you can run Dell diagnostic's extended test, read, write, verify, on the hard drive, not the express test.

How to use Dell's Diagnostic Utility

After the Dell Diagnostics loads and the Main Menu screen appears, click the button for the option you want.

Diagnostics can also, be run from the Drivers and Utilities Resource CD.

There's no need to buy the replacement IDE hard drive from Dell, 3.5" 7200rpm IDE/EIDE hard drives can be purchased from any local or online computer store.

To install a hard drive larger than 137gb in the D-8200, requires Windows XP-SP1 or higher and BIOS version A02 or higher.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!