Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2012 11:00

Dimension 8400 - Good SATA drive Not Recognized - Help

Have Dimension 8400 with win xp I have a WD SATA drive that works great in another machine. I have installed it in my 8400. I have power going to the drive because I can hear it spin up and initialize. I have purchased a new lockable data wire and have connected the drive to the motherboard. The drive does NOT show up on "My Computer" or "Manage Disks" Since the drive works in my other computer fine...im thinking that there may be a driver I dont have or something. I have 4 SATA sockets on the motherboard and I have tried all 4 of them. What are some important things I might need to know or do to turn on my new SATA drive on my dimension 8400? Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 9th, 2012 14:00

Does it appear in Device Manager? If not, is it recognized in the BIOS?

15 Posts

September 9th, 2012 16:00

No I did not see it in My Computer, Manage Disks, or In Device Manager.

I dont know how to make the bios recognize it.  Is there some switch or some driver I might need to load.  I dont know if the 8400 needs a driver for recognizing extra SATA drives.  The C: Drive is a SATA drive with windows XP on it...and it is plugged into one of 4 sata like sockets on the motherboard.  Is there a jumper I need to set on the new Sata drive...it worked great in my older computer without any fussing.

Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 9th, 2012 22:00

If it's not recognized by the BIOS, it won't show up in Device Manager or Disk Management.

I've never had to set a jumper on a SATA drive, even when using them with old machines like a relative's circa-2005 5150.

79 Posts

September 10th, 2012 09:00

SATA drives typically aren't going to need any jumpers, sometimes there isn't even anything to jumper in the first place.  

If the drive isn't detecting in the BIOS of your motherboard then an operating system driver isn't going to matter.  

Is this a 3TB drive by chance?    I've seen some vintage mobos that needed to get flashed to talk to some of the modern big boy drives.  

If possible, I'd recommend plugging in a different healthy smaller capacity SATA drive to verify the mobo and your cords are OK.

371 Posts

September 11th, 2012 06:00

The SATA ports in the 8400 can be turned on & off in BIOS. Have you checked to see if the port you have this drive plugged into is turned on?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 11th, 2012 14:00

Datapod is likely correct.

If that SATA port was turned on in BIOS before you installed the second drive, you'd constantly get a "Drive not found" error at every reboot. Since you don't mention that error without the drive, the SATA port is probably off.

No Events found!