Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2010 21:00

Disk drive won't open on my desktop

I have a Dell desktop where the disk drive will not open.  When I press the button, I hear the churning inside but the door just doesn't open.  Is there anything I can try before having to pay a professional?  I do not currently have a disk in there.  This has been going on for some time. First there were times when it would open after a few tries but now, nothing...except for hearing it turn inside. I"ve already tried going to My Computer & using the "eject disk" option.

Thanks

43 Posts

Oops, sorry...yes, I meant my CD drive.  It's a few years old(but still running strong I might add)...it's a Dell Dimension 3000.  If I am unable to do it after what you suggest and have to buy a new one, are they expensive?

Thanks for the quick reply!

9.3K Posts

I assume you mean your CD or DVD drive, but if not, please clarify.

It would help if you posted what Dell model (what's written on the front of the PC) you have.

Off hand:

- try it without the front bezel (assuming you have a model that has a removable front bezel)

- disconnect the data cable and power up the PC again and see if the drive will eject the tray

- if not, odds are you have a bad drive. If you're under warranty, call it in to Dell support. If not, buy a replacement. Without more detail about your system and drive, it's impossible to say if you need an ATA or SATA model.

3.7K Posts

March 30th, 2010 06:00

Hi, You should have an small hole next to your CD Drive tray. What you do is straighten out an paper clip, and use that to open your draw, to get your CD out. They are cheap enough to buy, see here.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 30th, 2010 13:00

yjohnson94 

No, DVD/CD/RW drives are not expensive, the Dimension 3000 only support IDE drives, like the drives shown HERE

Bev.

43 Posts

March 31st, 2010 01:00

Thanks for your suggestions & help.  I tried to push whatever little hole I saw & I don't think it worked. I still hear & even see the little wheels thru the gaps turning/jerking about but the door just won't open.  I'm posting a pic of the front of my cpu ..you can barely see the little pin size whole..it's on the bottom left..that's what I tried using a safety pin.

So I may have to just get another. 

Bev, So I need a new one that supports IDE?  From the link you posted with the list of different ones, will I be okay ordering any of them from the list? I see that Sony makes a "slim" design.  Would I be okay ordering that one, will there be a gap because it does not appear that I currently have a slim drive.  After looking at the pic, will I be okay changing it out myself? 

Here is the pic. I hope it comes thru.               Thanks again you guys for your reply.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 31st, 2010 09:00

yjohnson94 

Yes, you need an IDE drive and 'Slim' optical drives are not compatible with the Dimension 3000.

Check out the DVD/CD drive HERE

The directions for replacing the Dimension 3000 5.25" DVD/CD drive, are HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

April 27th, 2014 01:00

the same

April 27th, 2014 01:00

im the same it broken and i trad to open it and the light out came on   

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 27th, 2014 05:00

im the same it broken and i trad to open it and the light out came on   

Mcharrys2477

What is broken?

Also, please post the computer model and version of windows.
Bev.

January 21st, 2018 16:00

Dunno about HIS situation but I have the same exact one with a Dell Optiplex 760.  After about an hour I got it open with a paper clip and retrieved my Tom Petty CD, but it did not close automatically and now, upon being closed, will not open again.  This cd player has malfunctioned since I got the unit, but after returning 3 computers due to assorted malfunctions (like they wouldn't load the operating system, would not even read the disks that came with them etc) I finally just gave up since this one was halfway working.  Now it's dead.

Paperclip will not open it.

I'm broke and I'm an old lady so I'm not going to be installing a new drive myself.  This means my computer is now fundamentally a door stop and I use it for my work.

No Events found!