Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2013 20:00

Do I have to get a Dell HD to replace Died HD

My hard drive on my Studio xps 1645 died. I got WD 750 G (500G was originally in it) I can't get my OEM windows dvd to install windows on it nor can I do a restore from a backup of Ghost. I called WD and they said that I had to have a Dell drive not their Drive from them. Is this true??

Also will my backup Ghost image restore to a new drive or do I have to do a clean install?

2K Posts

August 1st, 2013 21:00

Hi Meggie13,

The image on the computer gets deleted when the hard drive is replaced as the image is present in hard drives. Dell ships WD hard drives along with its systems so apologies for the incorrect information that you received.

When you try to use the windows OEM disc to install do you get any error message?

Do reply with your answers.

190 Posts

Now that windows is installed will the image from ghost which was made while the 500G drive from Dell was in restore all my programs and data or will it create another partition?

190 Posts

Thank you. I deleted the partitions that were created when I tried to restore my backup image from the external drive initially as the dvd put windows on both partitions. I resinstalled from the OEM Windows CD and now have only 680 0f 698 free but the drive is 750. I don't know where the rest of it is. It also now have only 1 partition which is C:

I will have to install the drivers now in the correct order and reinstall all my programs since the backup image is not working.

At least the drive I purchased is so far working even though I don't have the full 750G of it.

2K Posts

August 1st, 2013 22:00

Hi Meggie13,

Request you to check in BIOS (F2 at startup) if it is showing up as 750GB hard drive. The reason the hard drive shows only 680GB as it consists of recovery partition, windows reserved partition and C partition (with OS). However, you may send me a screenshot of disc management.

The ghost image can only restore the data and the applications needs to be reinstalled manually.

No Events found!