Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2015 15:00

Drive Letter Assignments:

I have an Alienware XPS17 laptop with four USB2 ports. I've got a powered USB 7-Port hub plugged into one port and a Wacom tablet into another. I want to be able to attach AT LEAST three, preferably four, external hard drives (for data and back ups).

Every time I dismantle and reconstruct the system, the drive letters get reassigned. This plays havoc with my backup software. Is there some logic that can be applied to harden the connection between disc letter and physical drive? I haven't been able to make it happen.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2015 21:00

Thanks, Todd, that's exactly what I needed to know. By "dismantle and reconstruct" I meant that I unplug the USB discs and the other peripherals several times a year and transport them elsewhere and reassemble them - often in a slightly different configuration. When I was doing that, the drive letters would get reassigned and my backup software would hiccup. I plugged the discs into different USB ports and they retained their assigned letters. Thanks, much.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

1.8K Posts

June 4th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

Assuming you are running Win7 on that system here is a link to an article that describes what you're asking for, I think.   The question is what do you mean by "dismantle and reconstruct the system"?    Because, obviously, if you're reconstructing Windows and / or drives that are attached to the system then it's going to cause issues with permanently assigning drive letters.  

Check out that link though and let me know if that is what you're looking for.  This isn't something we would normally support but I'll see what I can find to help you.

Todd

No Events found!