Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2008 13:00

E310 CD/DVD not reading.

I have a e310 useing XP. The CD/DVD drive is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B. The driver is original MS, version 5.1.2535.0

It is in DMA. I have done a F12 diagnostics and recieved a 65OF:021B, message= 181318 during the read test. I have gone through the standard troubleshooting steps in this forum. I have removed the secondary IDE channel and rebooted with no luck. I have tried updating the driver without luck. I did use a data cd during the F12 testing.

I am not computer savvy, but this is what is happening. It will read DVD, music CD, but won't read data CD. I can't burn anything. It started having minor problems a couple months ago and now it is 3 months past warrenty. I've read through plenty of comments in this forum and haven't found anything that will work. I can see replacing the drive if it only read DVD, but it will read music CD also.

If there is someone out there that can help, I would appreciate it greatly.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 31st, 2008 18:00

Hi, Shamash:

Please make sure you're using a data disc when you run the test. Also, the result code is of no use to me. The test should give you a text result--pass or fail.

4 Posts

September 1st, 2008 11:00

Hi Osprey,

Yea, I am using a data disk ( the drivers and utilities disk you get with the computer ). Failed read test. Failed confidence test. Passed or N/A for the rest. I have already uninstalled the drive and rebooted a couple times with no luck.

Message Edited by Shamash on 09-01-2008 08:00 AM

September 1st, 2008 11:00

I am having exactly the same problem.  To make matters worse, when I tried to download the driver for the cd/dvd drive the Dell website did not recognise my Service Tag number.  Can anybody come up with any suggestions as to what I can try next?

4 Posts

September 1st, 2008 12:00

You should give all pertinent infomation (e.g. computer model, CD/DVD drive model, etc. ).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 1st, 2008 23:00

Hi, Shamash:

Time for a new drive, I'm afraid. You need an IDE drive, not SATA. Try Newegg, link below, for some good shopping options.

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 04:00

Hi Osprey,

Thanks for your help. It blows that almost everything works and I would need a new one, but if that's what has to happen. IDE optical right? If you don't mind, how did you come to that conclusion?

Message Edited by Shamash on 09-02-2008 12:19 AM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2008 23:00

The E310 predates systems with SATA optical drives. Here are your installation instructions.

Good luck!
No Events found!