Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2013 17:00

Error Code 0F00:136C

I have an Inspiron 9300 running XP.  The computer is about 8-years old.  My computer is running really slow.  I worked with Dell Tech support and bought the software warranty.  Dell tried everything to resolve my computers slowness.  They tried the Hand's Free Tool which runs a bunch of scans, which did not resolve the issue.  Lastly we reloaded the Operating System, and again have not resolved the issue.  Dell recommended buying 1G more of memory, but could not guarantee that would resolve the issue.

I ran the Diagnostic Test myself and found an error code 0F00:136F.  The Msg is IDE Device Failed: Blank media or no Media is present in optical drive.  After reviewing some of the post on this site, I re-ran the test with a blank CD DVD in my CD Drive and had the same error code.

The computer works and preforms all commands, but it is incredibly slow!  So slow that it is almost unusable.  It seems that the usual suspect with this error code is the Hard Drive.  If a degraded Hard Drive equals very slow performs, then that could be the answer. 

Looking for some professional/experienced advice...

Thank you,

6.4K Posts

February 23rd, 2013 17:00

The error you are reporting is complaining you have a blank disk in the DVD/CD drive.  You need to put a disk that has data on it into the drive for that test.

EDIT:  With regard to your main complaint, any number of things contribute to slowness.  If the computer has not been reformatted and reloaded in a while, the drive could be very fragmented.  The drive could also be getting full; the original drives for this machine were not all that large, so filling them was not that difficult.  Once the drive reaches 10% or so free space, the operating system begins to run out of space for its virtual memory, so the computer must take a while to shuffle everything around as it swaps data to and from the hard drive.  Having more memory reduces this problem a bit (since having more RAM reduces the need to swap data in and out to the hard drive), but it doesn't eliminate it.

5 Posts

February 24th, 2013 10:00

Thank you very much for the assistance.  I put a CD with pictures in the CD drive and the error code is gone.  I ran the extended hard drive and memory test from the "symptom tree" in "Diagnostics" and did not find any errors.

When we reloaded the Operating System I do not believe we reformatted the drive.  Basically we put the Op System CD in, restarted the computer, pushed F12, and conducted the reload.  

As mentioned, dell ran all their scans plus we reloaded the op system, so I hope that would eliminate viruses and malware as possible suspects.

I have 19GB of free space and 55 GB of used space.  I am close to the 10GB you mentioned, but not quite.  My computer came equipped with 80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 1GB DDR2 533MHz Memory, and Pentium M760 processor.

From your input, it looks as though I should reformat the Hard Drive.  I assume this is different then running the defragmentation tool on the computer.  Please confirm and let me know if you have any instruction on how to accomplish the reformat.  This is a maneuver I have yet to accomplish.    

Also, if you have any other suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

6.4K Posts

February 24th, 2013 17:00

Deleting all partitions and reformatting the drive will certainly start you off with a clean slate.  This approach also requires you to back up all data and reinstall all your applications, something that can take a good deal of time.  I suggest that you try defragmenting the hard drive before you resort to deleting everything on it.  Start by running chkdsk to fix any file system errors and clean up sectors that may be lost.  Once you have completed that, execute the defragmenting application to see if that helps.

If this process doesn't help, you can still remove everything from the drive and begin from scratch.  Dell has a page to help with this process, found here:  Restoring or Reinstalling Windows on a Dell.  Use the fourth link on that page, "Step 4:  Manual Reinstallation."  Be sure to look it over before you try following the instructions to see if you have any questions.

5 Posts

February 25th, 2013 13:00

I have ran the Defrag tool a few times and that did not provide any improvement.    I'll try the chkdsk followed by the defrag and see if that provides an improvement.

I have everything backed up.  You mentioned deleting all partitions and reformating.  When we reloaded the Op System, I believe we deleted the data on the one partition we reloaded the Op System on.  I do not remember reformating that partition prior to loading the Op System.  I do remember seeing 2 other partitions which we did nothing with.  I asked the Dell rep about those other two partitions and he said something about them containing system files...  So you are recommending I delete all data on all 3 partitions, followed by a reformatting?  

Please confirm.  I will reveiw the instructions.  

Thank you,

6.4K Posts

February 25th, 2013 14:00

It appears you may have already gone through most of my suggestions.  One of the two partitions to which you refer is a 100 MB or so partition that holds the Dell diagnostics for your laptop.  The second, larger, partition may be the back-up image containing the originally installed Dell software.  Most folks are not interested in recovering to the way the computer looked at the time it was delivered, so the restore image is generally deleted to make more room.  If you are interested in trying it you will likely need to repair it.  Information about what it is and how it is supposed to work are found here:  Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition, by Dan Goodell.  You will also find a section on that page regarding how it may be repaired.

I would leave the diagnostic partition untouched, as it is both useful and too small to render any significant increase in storage space.  The important thing on the reinstall is the deletion of the partition.  This step eliminates the file system and thereby the old Windows registry that might carry over some bad information from the original Windows installation to the new one.  Once you have deleted the partition(s), you can simply instruct Windows Setup to install Windows into the now unallocated space.  The new partition will automatically be created and formatted as part of the installation process.  If you have a desire for more than one partition, you have the option of performing these tasks manually.

5 Posts

February 25th, 2013 14:00

I reviewed the "Manual Installation."  Those are the same steps we took when we reloaded the Op System.  I'm just not sure if we reformatted the Partition we loaded to.  We definitely did nothing with the other 2 partitions.  

I assume there will be an option to format the partition/drive?  And if so, do I reformate all 3 partitions individual after I have deleted all the data on each partition?

5 Posts

February 26th, 2013 13:00

Sounds good.  I ran the dskchk and found no issues.  I also ran the defrag tool.  In addition I removed 18GB of pictures so now of 40% unused space.  Despite these efforts the computer is still very slow.

I do remember seeing 3 partitions and I believe it was the 3rd (largest one) we reload the Op System too.  I will reveiw the info you sent and see if deleting the 2nd partititon may help.  

I am unsure if we deleted the data on that 3rd partition prior to reinstalling the Op System on it.  I will try re-installation again and ensure the partition data is deleted 1st to avoid any carry over.

Thank you,

No Events found!