Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2008 22:00

External Drive for Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Need to get an external DVD drive to start installing software for my new mini. Any good recommendation on what might work well with the mini? Will also use external drive to play any audio video files. Will be great if I can also write files into DVD discs for backups etc.

549 Posts

November 16th, 2008 02:00

Most external (USB) DVDRWs use a desktop drive in an external case. You can even make your own.

There are a few slim ones:

Lacie DL DVD+/-RW

Here's a list of slim drives Newegg sells: SLim USB DVD burners

As far as recommendations, have never had a problem with LiteOn drives. LG, Samsung are good manufacturers.

You might have to do some research. Not sure of power requirements on drives, but those slim ones use notebook drives and seem to only require a second USB port for extra power. A few of them also seem to come with an AC adapter.

November 16th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for the info. Will look out for one from LG or Samsung.

I'm a new Dell user and 1st time using the forum and tech support site, but the forum/site was extremely un-user friendly:

- Forum: Except for this post, I couldn't locate the "Post a new thread" link in the other forums. I also cannot find the "Reply to posts" if I want to respond to someone's posts. Am I blind or what??

- Online chat support: launch a blank page for me!

- Email support: Filled in a template and then was asked for computer's OS when the drop down list is blank!

Sorry for airing my frustration here. But if you know of a place where I can channel my complaints to, that might help. Thanks again.

4.6K Posts

November 20th, 2008 09:00

Welcome to the forums Theresa :emotion-5:

I second the LG or Samsung recommendations, and will add Pioneer to the mix.

Regarding your other comments: 

Forums:  When you open the main forums page, look in the top left menu, for the forum section most closely related to your problem.

In this thread, you're looking for advice regarding an optical drive, so you would click on the 'Disk Drives (HDD, CD/DVD, Blu-Ray)' option, right at the bottom of the main forums menu.

Once you've opened the appropriate forum section, look in the top right of the new page (directly to the left of where it says "Users Online"), and you'll see the option to 'Start new thread' :emotion-1:

Online Chat:   I've never actually been able to use online chat - because I always get a "All chat representatives are currently busy assisting other customers or the queue is closed." message, but I've never had a problem opening the page?

Do you use a service tag?

Email:  Again... I've never had a problem with it.  It might be worth trying it in a different browser?

No Events found!