Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 13:00

External Hard Drive - Suggestions

I would like to have an external USB HD connected to my Dell 531S.  I need at least 300 mb and one that will turn on/off automatically when connected with my computer much the same as a Seagate FreeAgent drive does.  Looking for inexpensive drives with similiar functions of a Seagate FreeAgent but not a Seagate... Suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 8th, 2009 15:00

Hi, STGCMTED:

I recommend Seagate since they provide the best warranty. Aside from the warranty, they're all about the same.

190 Posts

December 8th, 2009 17:00

After the fiasco with the Seagate drives in Dell computers and no effort on Seagates part to correct it and Dell's attitude regarding it and many of us having to live with the clicking sound of the hard drive I would NEVeR purchase a Seagate product.

Be aware that there are some Seagate drives out there now that still have the click click click. If I were you I would get a Western Digital.

4.6K Posts

December 9th, 2009 07:00

Western Digital (WD) or LaCie :emotion-55:

I have a number of external WD drives - both 2.5" and 3.5", and I've never had a problem with them.

But by far the best looking external drive I've got, is my 1TB LaCie ("design by Neil Poulton")!

'Tis a thing of beauty: 

It's a devil of a thing for fingerprints - admittedly, but then so is the piano black finish on my WD's, so I don't hold that against it :emotion-2:

38 Posts

December 9th, 2009 12:00

My wife has a 250GB MyBook (Western Digital) that has worked flawlessly for about 2 years. No complaints.

During Thanksgiving week, I had my Verbatim 1TB drive fail. Not sure what Verbatim is going to do about it. The drive (WD) itself did not fail, it was the power supply circuit board inside the enclosure. Once the drive was taken out of the enclosure and connected to a SATA, it was fine and I was able to get my data back before sending the unit back. Verbatim just received the drive on Monday, 12/7, and I have not yet heard from them.

In order to get my data back, I had to buy another 1TB drive and Wal Mart had a one day sale on MyBook 1TB drive for $78, so I got one for the recovery service to transfer my data on to. So far so good.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 9th, 2009 17:00

As I said, apart from the warranty (and maybe a few anecdotes), they're all about the same. 

No Events found!