Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2011 22:00

HDD Not Detected

You have probably heard this asked numerous times.

My laptop had a hardrive failure, I got a new hardrive installed and it worked fine.

Installed Windows 7 a day later, it worked fine also, before getting a blue screen.

I then leave thee laptop for a while, come back turn it on, and it cannot detect my HDD.

It proceeds to the install Windows 7 screen (W7 disc still in DVD-Drive) and when trying to do a clean install it shows up with No HDD to install windows to, and won't let me do anything.

I have A Dell Studio Laptop, and the type of HDD is oblivious to me.

I've been into the BIOS and restored it to default and putting the SATA controller settings to IDE and ASCHI? and neither worked.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 7th, 2011 17:00

Hi Zacciev,

Hard to say what you did the first time or what went wrong, so you may have no choice but to reinstall.

You should install with the drive set to ACHI. That will give you the best performance. In order to install Win 7, though, you'll need the RAID drivers, which you can get from downloads.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2011 10:00

How do I install RAID driver + what downlaods? :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 8th, 2011 17:00

Sorry, I assumed you knew where to find downloads since you've already installed the operating system. Simply click Support above, then go to downloads, enter your model and operating system, and you'll find the drivers for your system. You need the Pre-OS install RAID drivers.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2011 19:00

Thanks.

64 Posts

June 18th, 2011 17:00

Hi ZACCIEV

Did you resolve this problem? I have a similar issue.

No Events found!