Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2012 08:00

HDD failure

seems as though i have a complete failure wont even let me into safe mode i ran a diagnostic from boot menu (pre-boot system assessment build 4129)

gave me error code 0146. though cant find out what the code means. i think the hdd should still be covered by warranty even though the pc is no longer covered

because dell replaced the hdd this year?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 25th, 2012 10:00

crusod

Error 0146 indicates a failed/failing hard drive or bad drive sector.   This means your hard drive will need to be replaced.

If your computer does not have a Dell warranty in effect, I doubt that Dell will replace the hard drive, therefore you will need to buy the replacement and install it, followed by reinstalling Windows, drivers and the applications.

You might be able to extend the warranty, for this you will need to contact Dell, for the cost of the warranty extension.

Bev.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2012 18:00

i've tryed contacting dell t.s. but to no avail. seems dell support is warranty for device as a whole not for any replacement parts they may have done. trying my luck with the hard drives manufacture. since dell seems uninterested.  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 27th, 2012 19:00

i've tryed contacting dell t.s. but to no avail. seems dell support is warranty for device as a whole not for any replacement parts they may have done. trying my luck with the hard drives manufacture. since dell seems uninterested.  

crusod

When the hard drive is sold as OEM component of the computer and it's replacement, the warranty for both, is by the computer's manufacturer, eg Dell and not the hard drive's manufacturer, therefore contacting them for a free replacement, should be an exercise in futility.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

crusod

When the hard drive is sold as OEM component of the computer and it's replacement, the warranty for both, is by the computer's manufacturer, eg Dell and not the hard drive's manufacturer, therefore contacting them for a free replacement, should be an exercise in futility.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

crusod

Bev.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2012 16:00

yeah so im S.O.L. next time ill buy a pc from a company not using substandard parts. 2 dead hard drives in 2 years.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2012 17:00

crusod

Unfortunately it does happen, I had a new hard drive fail in less than 30 days after installation and others fail within the year.

Dell hard drives are exactly the same drives that are sold retail, except the warranty is by Dell, not the manufacturer like the retail drives

Bev.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2012 18:00

main difference being if i had just bought a new hard drive myself when the first one failed i would have had a 3 year warranty as a posed to the 1 year with dell for the same part oh well live and learn and go hdd shopping.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 29th, 2012 04:00

Seagate is still offering 5 year warranties.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 29th, 2012 11:00

So is Western Digital on some models -- like Seagate, basic drives now carry much shorter warranties.  Only the high performance models have longer warranties.

19 Posts

December 29th, 2012 21:00

This week I replaced the hard drive in my Studio XPS 8100 due to 0142 and 0146 error codes. I researched this purchase a lot before making a decision... Seagate warranties are now 1 yr only unless you buy the Baracuda XT version and it's three; Western Digital's "Black" version is 5 years, while their "Red" is 3 years and the "Blue" and "Green" models are both two years. I picked-up a Blue model at the local Micro Center store and added the 3year replacement plan for 19.99.

No Events found!