Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2013 19:00

HDD not recognising

Hi there my warranty of my Inspiron 1545 is out of date and after a hard bang on the laptop my HDD is not working it won't recognise in BIOS or diags, Obviously the hard bang has broke my HDD but what my question is as my HDD is not workin at all then When I buy a new one I'm not going to have the version of windows installed on it and was wondering if Dell would supply me with disks to reload Windows onto my new HDD as I paid for Windows and the computer, and hopefully they will be free as I did not get asked if I wanted a hard copy or a partition copy of windows? Anyway any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated if you need my service tag then I can give that thanks in advance

6.4K Posts

March 27th, 2013 20:00

If you live in the U.S., Dell has an on-line form for you to fill out here:  Dell Replacement Disk.  If you live outside the U.S. I'm afraid you will need to contact Dell Technical Support for your region and request the disks.  Use the information required in the U.S. form as a guide to what you will need to provide to the Dell representative.

Dell also has a page of links to procedures that help you get back up and running, here:  Restoring or Reinstalling Windows on a Dell.  For a blank disk you will need to start at Step 4: Manual Reinstallation.  Dell forum member natakuc4 also has a document on restoring Windows here:  A Clean Install of Windows.  This document goes into much greater detail than the Dell document and provides a greater understanding of the procedures.

2 Posts

March 27th, 2013 21:00

Thank you very much for the info mate I guess I stupidly came onto the US site instead of the UK one I think anyway bud cheers have a good day :D

6.4K Posts

March 28th, 2013 13:00

For many years, this was the only forum that Dell had, so I don't think you've done so badly.  It is my understanding that Dell has been attempting to set up servers for overseas customers, but I haven't kept track of how they are coming along on that.

Good luck on your restoration!

No Events found!