Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2014 09:00

HDD optimum partitioning

HI

I'm upgrading my Dimension8400 to windows7 and have a spare WD500G HDD, so wondered if anyone could suggest best way to go.

(Please lol if i'm way off)As I'm installing win7  would a quick /safe way be to

Make backup

install blank drive.

start PC and go into set-up

format new hdd with two partitions 1) win7 2)data

install win7 (as clean) on new drive partition

set win7 partition as primary boot

restart and copy over user files

wipe old drive when I'm happy all is well and use as extra storage (and recovery parition)...

comments?!

CPU P4 540HT

RAM 4G (I know only 3G gets used)

1xDVD   1xDVDr/w    3.5 Floppy (full of dust)

1xWD 500G hdd  1x new WD 500G hdd

Radeon 4850HD

5 Posts

August 4th, 2014 06:00

Thanks.  Osprey4

are there any recommendations for partition sizes or Letter/name assignments in my case.

I've only ever used PCs were there's one C: partition covering the whole HDD.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 15:00

Hi Mellie Man,

Looks like the correct approach to me. I've got a link below to an OS installation guide, if that would help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 4th, 2014 16:00

The operating system and applications need ~75GB, so I would install Windows 7 onto a ~200GB partition. That will leave ~300GB for data. The system partition is usually assigned drive letter C. How you want to assign drive letters to your data partition, optical drives, etc. is up to you. Mine are set up as C: (system), D: (data), E: (DVD drive).

5 Posts

August 5th, 2014 16:00

Thanks again

Just preparing stuff and had the thought...

Current WIN XP HDD is set as C:

when I install win7 on 2nd (new) drive how to  get that one to end up with C:

I have found a possible trick swapping drive letters using regedit C_->Z, new one to C, then Z->D

but wondered if there was a more obvious way.

Possibley remove existing HDD and install win7 on new one then put old HDD back in,  I tink that would have other implications.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 8th, 2014 05:00

When you install Win 7, it will set the system drive as C. Your existing drive with XP will be assigned a different letter, probably D. I would NOT try to change drive letters for the system drive.

I assume you are not trying to dual-boot XP and 7.

No Events found!