Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2010 15:00

HDD replacement and o/s activation problem

Hi all,

Hope some one can help me, got a problem with my laptop after replacing the original HDD after it died.

Replaced the drive easy enough, installed win vista ultimate on new drive (original HDD ran Win xp home), up and running no problems all features OK.

Now comes the problem, without warning the software was asking to be activated.

Well i thought by typing in the serial from the box was doing just that?

The software will not allow me to open any programs what so ever, not even the start menu. All i get is a window telling me to enter the activation key, or online purchase browser.

Now as my copy of win Vista is a real version (not a copy) the number on the box should work for more than a couple of weeks, but when i re enter the number, i get an error message stating the bios license is wrong.

can any one give me any help on this?

Many Thanks

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 27th, 2010 17:00

If by "real" version you mean Windows Vista that you bought in a store, you need to call Microsoft.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 27th, 2010 19:00

If it was an upgrade version you must install XP first, then install Vista.  Otherwise you'll see exactly what you're seeing.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2010 12:00

i can't re-install xp as this was preloaded on the pc when purchased. Hence the reason i went for an upgrade on the o/s with the new HDD. and yes it was bought from a shop.

6.4K Posts

October 28th, 2010 14:00

Read this from Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite to see if it is helpful:  Clean Install Vista using Upgrade.  In order to activate you still need a valid product code, and you should also have a valid product code for your previous version of Windows glued to the case of your computer to qualify for the upgrade.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2010 11:00

Thanks for info, worked a treat.

6.4K Posts

November 13th, 2010 19:00

You are very welcome.  Best of luck to you.

No Events found!