Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2013 09:00

HELP DISC DRIVE NOT WORKING

So My parents bought my Dell inspiron N5110 laptop about 1-2 years ago and it's been working fine since then,with only a few minor problems.Just recently I tried to burn a disc for dad.Everything was ready but when I placed the blank disc into the tray and sent it in the Driver spun the disc around like once(I could here from the noise)and then it stopped and made this loud crank noise like something inside got stuck or something.I thought it still would work but when I tried to burn the disc my Laptop said there was no disc in the driver ,So I ejected the disc and tried a diffrent blank disc,It had the same problem as the last.I gave up trying to burn the disc but a few days later I wanted to watch a movie on my laptop but once I sent the disc in so it can start running I got into the same problem,The Disc spun a few times stopped and made a loud crank noise then it wouldn't work at all.Please help I don't no what to do,My sister already tried to reset the whole computer and it didn't work.

My Driver is a HT-DT-ST DVD +RW GT60N ATA DEVICE.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 21st, 2013 10:00

You'll need a new optical drive - it's a standard SATA writer, so you can get a replacement from just about any online computer store (newegg, amazon, etc.).

750 Posts

July 21st, 2013 11:00

Hi stormaster5505,

Is the laptop able to read any discs? Also, may I know if you have tried running hardware diagnostics on the optical drive?

If you have not, please refer the following link for Dell PC diagnostics: http://dell.to/15Q5xPl

Select “Hardware”, and select “Optical”, and then click “Run Diagnostics”.

Do let me know the results.

No Events found!