Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2004 00:00

HELP PLEASE!!! Erasing.....

All i would like to know how to do is erase everything from my computer....everything that i have downloaded or saved.  I want to start over as if i just bought a new computer. I want to reinstall everything and erase all the old stuff.  Please help me....i can't seem to get anything off my computer!

38 Posts

May 24th, 2004 01:00

Do you truly want to erase (e.g. remove all trace) or just start over?

There are utilities to completely erase a hard drive ... check download.com, or do a Google search for "erase disk".  You will find many ... some are even freeware.

If you simply want to start over then you need to delete all the partitions on your hard drive then create one or more new partitions.  Windows 2k and Windows XP installation CD's will do that if you can boot from the CD.   The exact method is somewhat dependent on the model of your computer.  Later model Inspirons have an boot menu that is displayed if you press F12 during the bootup POST sequence.

384 Posts

May 25th, 2004 00:00

Post the model of computer, with it's spec's and operating system.

1 Message

June 20th, 2004 04:00

I am looking to do the exact same thing. reloaded windows XP but all the old spam etc..remained.. please help?

June 22nd, 2004 01:00

i have the inspiron 5100 and i just deleted the partitions, created a new one, then formated it. then reloaded windows xp. that is how i erased everything and started over. thank you everyone for your help. my computer is working fine with no more junk on it. if anyone else wants to know exactly what i did to do it yourself just email me at mylittleQT314@yahoo.com

Thank you

No Events found!