Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2010 14:00

HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD Gcc H10N SCSI Cdrom Device will not burn nor read cds.

I have done everything possible to try to fix this situation. I have even restored my computer to the dell factory settings several times. This problem started along time ago. I got tired of trying to fix it and just bought me a laptop. I use WMP to burn and rip my personal cds. The problem is when i'm burning a cd, its actually going through the process of doing it. After the burning is complete, I take it out to put it in a cd player and it has nothing on it. I put it back in my computer and it comes up as a completely blank cd. Nothing was ever written on it. I really need help with this problem so that I can start back enjoying my desktop again. My make and model is Inspirion 531s.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2010 14:00

Hi Pickinsround,

Have you tried deleting the upper and lower filters (procedure under "code 39 error" in the FAQ). Have you tried a firmware update (check downloads).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2010 17:00

No. Did you delete the lower filters? Any improvement?

Thank you, I did just that. As I was going through the proper steps I noticed when I got into the Registry that I was told to locate, I had no upper filters to delete. Is that a problem?

Yes, and i finished the proper steps. Restarted my computer. Burned a cd, put it back in the computer to see if it would read it and to no avail. Just reads blank disc.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2010 18:00

Ok, I went back and read your original post. You said you cannot read or write to a CD. Have you tried running the Dell diagnostics? I would try the READ test on your drive with a data CD in the drive.

April 17th, 2010 22:00

Yes i did run the dell diagnostics. Everything was fine.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 18th, 2010 05:00

WMP uses the Windows built-in burning application. You should also have another disc burning application such as Roxio. Have you tried using that?

April 18th, 2010 09:00

Yes, I do have roxio but WMP has been my main source for burning my personal cds. What gets me is that it use to work perfectly.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 18th, 2010 13:00

What discs are you using? Also, come to think of it, I never asked what OS you have.

April 18th, 2010 14:00

I am using sony cds. I am using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 19th, 2010 18:00

I'm not sure what else to suggest beyond using the program that works.

No Events found!