Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 2nd, 2003 16:00

Hard Disk Fatal Error

Ok, need some help. My hard disk failed yesterday, a message came up saying a serious fault had occurred and windows would shut down to prevent damage to the system... not good.

When I rebooted all manner of things were a bit weird. Like for example the boot-up sequence wasn't working, and my pc reported an error on the hard drive (which it knew was there but registered no capacity) before even trying to boot from the floppy disk/cdrom.

After bypassing the boot-up sequence and using my diagnostics disk it reported errors on all major tests (ed read, write, seek and SMART) for the disk and so i'm guessing its not working.

Also, my reformatting software simply reported an error when I attempted to repartition the drive and reformat it. This has never happened before in my experience so i'm stuck.

Have had to stick in an old hd while this ones dead and that appears to be workin normally, also tests on the rest of the system are ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

DM

Also, does any1 know if the warranty which is detailed on the hard disk casing (til March 05) is valid even if my Dell warranty has expired, as the Dell website knowledge base is useless and just says it doesn't deal with third party warranties, even though Maxtor said 2 speak to Dell as it was their problem...?

Spec: Dimension 4300 with 1.8G Intel P4 Chip running with 384 Ram on Windows XP Home Edition. HD is a 30GB Maxtor (Model 4DO4OH2) bought with the PC from Dell about 18 months ago.

November 2nd, 2003 16:00

The old "it's not my problem" trick.  If you have 1 year warranty on the Dell PC, then I suspect that applies to the HD, too.  I don't think you can go with the warranty label on the HD.  I could be wrong....

F.

November 2nd, 2003 19:00

If the warranty on the HDD label says it's still good, then contact the HDD manufacturer.  I wouldn't even mention that it came with a Dell system.  I would just call them and tell them that the HDD stopped working and get an RMO to return the HDD.  I've only had to return 2 Maxtor HDD's in my time and had no problem getting the warranty honored.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 2nd, 2003 20:00

DangermouseonDrugs,

I had a failed three year warranty Maxtor HD purchased from Dell, phoned Maxtor's Technical Support about replacing it and in three days I received a refurbished drive, after leaving a CC number with them to insure I returned the defective drive.  

Bev.

November 2nd, 2003 22:00

@shesagordie wrote:

DangermouseonDrugs,

I had a failed three year warranty Maxtor HD purchased from Dell, phoned Maxtor's Technical Support about replacing it and in three days I received a refurbished drive, after leaving a CC number with them to insure I returned the defective drive.  

Bev.

If you don't want to use a CC, you can send yours in and when they receive it, they will send out the new one.  As long as you have a working spare to use in the mean time, I wouldn't use the CC approach.

However, you still need to call them and get an RMO first.

No Events found!