Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2015 04:00

Hard Drive Failure - Problems Restoring from External Hard Drive using DBAR

The hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 15z Laptop (2.5 years old!) has just failed and been replaced by local firm. Prior to failure I had upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10, and as recommended carried out a full data and system backup to an external Hard Drive using Dell Backup And Recovery. Now that my Laptop is working again I'm trying to use the backup to restore my data but unable to figure out how to access the information on the external drive using DBAR. Does anyone know how I do this please? Thanks. Tony. 

331 Posts

September 17th, 2015 10:00

Thanks for the screen shot. Please refer to this link http://bit.ly/1Fjftmo and take the ownership of the file to open.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 11:00

That's fantastic, thank you, I can now access the files. Many thanks for your help. Tony.

331 Posts

September 16th, 2015 08:00

Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Please refer to the below link for using the Dell Backup and recovery.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN297654#Data_Recovery

Please reply if you have any further questions.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 02:00

Thank you.

Using DBAR I've progressed to the section where I can view the external backup and have the option to add files, but when I try to add all files the application just seems to freeze, so I'm guessing that the backup may be too large (c300gb), and that I may need to choose individual files or groups of files. Does that make sense? Thanks. Tony.

331 Posts

September 17th, 2015 08:00

Yes, 300GB would be too large and it would take time to recover. You can recover the data by selecting one of it, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos. So this way it would be faster to recover all the data.

331 Posts

September 17th, 2015 09:00

Could you please let us know the version of Microsoft office installed on the system and send the screen shot of the error message.

6 Posts

Thanks. I thought I'd cracked it, and managed to recover personal documents (Word, Excel, etc.) but when I try to open any of the documents I get an error code - Excel: file format or file extension is not valid, Word: user does not have access privileges, and similar with videos. Any ideas? Many thanks. Tony.

331 Posts

You can use the snipping tool (start>search for snipping tool, click on new, cut the portion and save the file) to take the screen shot. Please let us know the file format it is saved in ‘.xlsx’ or ‘.xls’.

6 Posts

Yes sure, its Professional Plus 2013. Excuse my ignorance, but how do I get a screen shot to send?

6 Posts

September 17th, 2015 10:00

There are both xlsx and xls. I think the screen shot is attached, but let me know if not. Thanks.

1 Attachment

No Events found!