Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2009 23:00

Hard Drive Problem?

My Laptop is Dell Inspiron 6000.

About a year ago, I ran Windows XP and began to have BSODs and when I would reboot it would display an error saying that my Windows filesystem was corrupted or something saying a file was corrupted. So I reinstalled and maybe a week or day later the same problem would happen. So my dad brought to his work and replaced the Hard Drive. And everything was fine until now...

About 3 weeks ago, I had the exact same problem on except on the new Hard Drive. Sick of these errors, I installed Ubuntu. For about another 3 weeks I had no problems whatsoever until today.

During the loading screen it said /dev/sda1 filesystem had a problem. So I reinstalled.

After reinstalling, while using Ubuntu, it would act odd not responding to my commands and when I tried shutting down it would display the black screen with this error:

Quote:
174.513373 Ext-fs error (device sda1): ext_find_entry:reading directory #1519452 offset 0

I guess I should start looking for another HD? Or is this some other error... I would hate to replace more Hard Drives...

Is there a way to check if my Hard Drive is the culprit?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 17th, 2009 04:00

Hi, Slimejock:

Without knowing what error you're getting, I can only suggest you run the Dell diagnostics from your Dell resource disc. Boot to the BIOS and make sure your first boot device is the CD drive. Then insert your Dell resource disc and exit the BIOS. It should boot up right into the diagnostics and you can test the hard drive from there. Write down the results, including any error codes, and post them here.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 17th, 2009 04:00

Sorry, stupid forum.

No Events found!