Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2016 10:00

Hard Shutdowns after performing HDD Upgrade

Dell Inspiron 15z 5523

Comes with Seagate Momentus 500GB drive by default.  I cloned over to a Seagate Momentus 1TB and now my system does not sleep, hibernate or shutdown properly.  Whenever I invoke any of these three commands, the system does a hard shutdown, and there is a Kernel-System Error 41 in the Event Log.

I have tried two different cloning programs (Macrium Reflect and AOMEI Backupper).  I have also tried a traditional backup to image and restore operation.  I have also tried to just keep the partitions all the same size on the new drive (keeping the extra 500GB as unformatted space.  Every one of these different procedures resulted in the same thing -when powered up everything seems okay, but when shutting down or sleeping or hibernating, it does a hard shutdown.

When I put the original drive back into the laptop, everything works fine again.

Am I missing a step in the upgrade process?  There are a lot of partitions on the original drive - I've preserved them all, even tried keeping them at the same memory address in one of my clones.  I have run the troubleshooter for the Power settings and it does correct the timeout on sleep, hibernate, etc but the problem doesn't go away.

Thoughts on how to fix this shutdown issue?

No Responses!
No Events found!