Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2007 02:00

Hard disk error - Fail. Return Code 7

My Dimension 4700 stopped booting in Windows normal mode.  In safe mode I was able to boot and ran a ChkDsk first thing.  It showed 40 KB in bad sectors on the hard drive but then the PC returned to booting normally (at least so far).  I called Dell tech support anyway and he had me run the BIOS diagnostics for the hard drive.  The result was: Fail, return code 7.  The tech refused to send a replacement hard drive even though my Dimension is still under warranty.  He said because I could still boot into Windows they would not replace the drive.  He said I should back up my data and wait for the drive to fail completely before calling Dell again.  This sounds crazy to me.  I'm definitely backing up my data right now but how can I continue to use a PC with a hard drive that could fail again at any moment.  Does this sound right to anyone else?  Thanks.

414 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 03:00

If you use dell's troubleshooting tree at it will clearly say that.....

Some errors reported by the Dell hard drive diagnostics could be caused by data corruption on the drive. To ensure that you are being provided the best solution for your problem, it is important to determine if the read failure reported by the hard drive is caused by a mechanical failure or something as simple as data corruption.

And by continuing to go through that tree, you can determine what the actual problem is. It's really easy to use and could save a headache of arguing with tech support.

If the option that you choose in that tree leads you to contact tech support, then yes you need your drive replaced, but if it doesn't and suggests something else (most likely steps leading up to re-installing windows), then you don't need your drive replaced.

Message Edited by Noxo on 05-01-2007 09:45 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

daveamazon

The Techie is wrong, the hard drive is failing, Error Code 7 means the drive has failed it's self-test and should be replaced.

Try calling Dell again and give them the error code you received running diagnostics.

Backing up your data, is a smart thinking.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

414 Posts

Error code 7 doesn't mean that there is necessarily a hardware failure, it can be a problem with windows. My suggestion would be to do a pc restore after all of your info is saved, or re-install windows if that is not available.

322 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 14:00

daveamazon,

Read this article. When you're done, see if you still feel comfortable with your HD. If so, keep it. If not, as I suspect, escalate your issue with Dell before it's too late.

Ken

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 20:00

UPDATE:  I called Dell back this morning and convinced a different technician to send a replacement hard drive.  The second tech this morning had me do a more extensive HDD test using the Dell Resource CD that confirmed bad sectors on the HDD.  The tech's manager actually came on the line at the end of the call to apologize for the first tech's behavior.  The second tech had called his manager over without my prompting just from the notes he read from my first phone call.  Anyway, the Dell manager said whenever they get a Fail code (of any number) their policy is to replace the HDD.  Makes sense, who wants to take a chance with a hard disk that may be failing?

Thanks to all of you who responded to my initial post.  A couple of you posted excellent links that I'll use in the future.

Dave

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2007 21:00

Is it just me, or do Dell seem to be more amenable to replacing parts than they used to be?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 2nd, 2007 21:00

daveamazon

That's great, I'm pleased to hear that Dell is sending you a replacement hard drive.

Bev.

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2007 01:00

This was the most difficult time I can ever remember getting a hard disk replacement through Dell.  In the past, I basically called tech support, read them the failure code from the BIOS diagnostics, and waited for them to do the paperwork on their end to ship me a new drive.  I could get it done in 20 minutes.  The call I made this morning literally lasted 90 minutes before I could hang up.  And I knew I needed a new drive at the beginning of the call.  That was 90 minutes of waiting for the Dell tech to reach the same conclusion.

I still love Dell's hardware, software, and Website.  But the bureaucracy has grown worse over the years.  It's the rare call when I get a smart, speedy answer from a human being at Dell nowadays.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 3rd, 2007 02:00

John.

I believe Dell is trying to reform their ways, the past year I've receive good parts service, both on the phone and using eMail, but I think it depends on the Techie you contact.

I've had both excellent and really bad Techies. The bad ones, I just hang up the phone and redial.

Bev.

175 Posts

May 3rd, 2007 13:00

guys, for an update. HDD diagnostic (90/90 diagnostic as they call it) is only reliable for HDDs 80G below, if your HDD more done that size, tech support will require a 32-Bit diagnostic using the Dell resource CD (based on experience of course)...
No Events found!