Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2004 14:00

Hard drive or power supply problem?

4 Posts

December 5th, 2004 14:00

sorry, accidentally hit the enter key..

here is my problem:

a few weeks ago, my computer wouldnt turn on at all. so, i figured i would go buy a new power supply. i have a dell dimension 8280. i purchased an antec 350 power supply for it. come to find out, i was told the wrong thing, and the power supply doesnt fit in my case. HOWEVER, i was able to turn the computer on. and so, while i had the computer on, i installed norton system works which i just purchased that day. after i installed some programs, it told me to restart, so, i went ahead and did that. upon rebooting, it would get stuck at a black screen or the welcome screen. i cant get passed it and i dont know if its a problem with my windows or power supply?

any thoughts? i miss my computer ... lol.

have a good sunday everyone.

doug

5 Posts

December 5th, 2004 15:00

I currently have the same problem with my 4600 - Sometimes when I start it, It sticks on a black screen, After talking with Dells online support and doing several tests, They told me the "system was not reconizing the hard drive" So basically I need to purchase a new hard drive.

Maybe this is whats going on with your PC??

Good Luck!

4 Posts

December 5th, 2004 16:00

I appreciate the reply -- that was my guess, the hard drive. I really dont want to do it, but I guess I really need to. There goes another expense, WOO HOO!

133 Posts

December 5th, 2004 22:00

If you boot into safe mode (hit the F8 key right after the initial BIOS screen when you power on your computer), do you still get a black screen?
There may be something in your win.ini/boot.ini/startup(msconfig) setup that is not initiating correctly.  gl.

3.2K Posts

December 5th, 2004 23:00

and do not discount NSW being the culprit . . it does more harm than good usually

wrs

No Events found!