Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 28th, 2008 21:00

Hard drive replacement under warranty

I replaced the original Hard Drive in my Dell Dimension 8250 with a 250gb Western Digital caviar internal HD in June 2007.  This new drive failed last week after only 10 months.  It is still under warranty.  I called customer service and they said they would replace the drive if I sent them the broken one.   The customer service rep assured me that any of my personal data on the drive would be erased before they remanufatured it for resale.  How do I know that they will do this? Does anybody have input on whether this is a good idea or should I just forget the warranty and just buy a new drive?  Thanks in advance.    RSB

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 29th, 2008 01:00

rsb1445

Depending on the sensitivity of the data, if you have any qualms about WDC erasing the data from your failed hard drive. As IDE drive are fairly cheap, buy a new drive and physically destroy the failed drive.

Unless I can erase the data from a hard drive, the drive is destroyed, by removing the platters and burning them.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2008 01:00

You're right.  I don't know if I can trust them to erase my sensitive data.  I know how to remove the platters.  I think I will destroy the drive and just buy another, but how are you burning the platters?   RSB

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 29th, 2008 02:00

rsb1445

These days I'm using a large burning barrel, that's for incinerating trash, on our property.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!