Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2012 20:00

Hard drive swap question

I would like to swap hard drives between two Dell desk tops.    My grandson would like to use my Dell XPS to game with and the Dell he is using needs a 430 watt power supply.  The machine he owns fits my needs and  the XPS would fit his, the question I have is can I trade the hard drives by just switching them out, I have way too much info on my computer to let the hard go.  What would I  have to do to make the swap,  both hard drives are the same makes and capcities.  Thanks   Johnny

h

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 15th, 2012 23:00

hay97es

Dell has many different XPS computers, the actual model would help.

You could try switching the hard drives, but I doubt it will work due to the differences, so be prepared to carry out a clean reinstall of the operating systems.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

I would like to swap hard drives between two Dell desk tops.    My grandson would like to use my Dell XPS to game with and the Dell he is using needs a 430 watt power supply.  The machine he owns fits my needs and  the XPS would fit his, the question I have is can I trade the hard drives by just switching them out, I have way too much info on my computer to let the hard go.  What would I  have to do to make the swap,  both hard drives are the same makes and capcities.  Thanks   Johnny

hay97es

What are the two computer models and the operating systems?

Usually switching the hard drives between two different computers will not work, unless the systems and operating systems are identical, as the differences are too great, then the operating systems and the drivers, etc, must be reinstalled.

Bev.

5 Posts

One is a Dell Vostro 420 running window seven at 64 bits and the other is a XPS   running   Windows seven at 64.   I thought by trading the hard drives all I would get by with out having to buy a new machine for him.  May be I would have to change the BIOS settings.  Gosh I hope I can make it work   I have an up to date machine and only use it for corespondence;  his Dell would fit my needs.  Thanks for the reply  Johnny   By the way I dont know alot about hardware compatability.

5 Posts

May 16th, 2012 06:00

Thank You Bev,  I think I will not change them out and just save for a new gamer machine.     Thanks John

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 16th, 2012 08:00

hay97es

:emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!