Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2015 18:00

Having hard drive and computer frustrations.

Well I will start off by saying that I have been searching google for answers and I am getting a bunch of mixed answers and reviews. So im here hoping to figure all of this out.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 and It originally came with Vista (chills just ran down my back! haha). Well recently I went ahead and did a clean install of windows 10 on it. It seems like its working really well with it too..... except for a couple of things.

I tried to install a 2nd hard drive but it will not recognize the hard drive in disk manager and it wont find it in the boot/BIOS. The hard drive is not a SSD, its a 1TB that was in my old computer (which was running windows 7 on it). I dont want to have windows 7 or anything like that on it as a 2nd OS to boot from. Just storage. But it wont detect on my computer.

So here is some Info that might help you..

I have checked the cables to the hard drive as well as putting the SATA cable into different SATA ports on the motherboard and using different SATA data cables. The hard drive does work in my other old computer still. So It would seem the HD is not the problem.

I have noticed the BIOS is 1.0.7 and currently the update available is 1.0.13 and I have to use a DOS update or something like that. But a few places online say that I shouldn't update the BIOS since I can mess up the computer. Some say i need to have windows XP?!? 

The computer is still a clean install and It looks like windows 10 installed all the drivers for everything else.

Should I update the BIOS? Do you think the windows 7 OS on the 2nd hard drive is preventing it from showing up?

Im also planning on doing a clean install again of windows 10 but this time following the update order on the dell site ( "install the drivers in order of: Application, Drivers, Firmware and BIOS"). Let me know what you think of that Idea... or maybe install BIOS first then the rest.

I also installed a AMD Radeon R5 220 into the computer. It takes a bit longer to boot up. Is that normal? I wanted to have dual screens so I just popped that In and it seems to work fine except for the start up. It takes longer to start prior to the dell logo showing up. Then its a quick start up from that.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2015 20:00

Sorry for the late reply. I got busy with work.

I did figure it out eventually.

In BIOS if you go to..   Advanced > Integrated Peripherals > Serial-ATA Configuration and  set the SATA controller to SATA 1+2. 

And that was it! 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 10th, 2015 17:00

Hi Salsum,

I can't think of any good reason why the 1TB hard drive should not be detected in the BIOS, but of course if the BIOS doesn't see the drive, usually Windows will not either. So a BIOS update is probably the best way to go.

As far as updating the BIOS, I see versions 1.0.10 and 1.0.13. Both install from under Windows, not DOS. However, updating the BIOS under Windows presents some risk. You should make sure to turn off your antivirus and UAC, as well as any background programs. Before running the update, unplug the 1TB drive.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2015 20:00

Thank you osprey4 for your help and fast reply!!

I really appreciate it!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 20th, 2015 17:00

Excellent! Glad to hear you found the solution, and thanks for posting the fix.

No Events found!