Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2011 15:00

Help installing IDE HDD in Studio XPS 8000

I've got an older IDE HDD that I'm looking to put into my Studio XPS.  Now I understand that it's not currently equipped to accept IDE drives so I purchased an IDE to SATA adapter (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4143846&CatId=468) but I'm not sure how or what I need to put power to the adapter and HDD.  Any help would be very much appreciated.  Let me know if you need any real pictures or anything like that.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 16:00

Hi Millierj,

If you get this to work, let me know. I have yet to see one actually work.

14.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 16:00

The pics at the bottom tell you exactly what you have to do.

You get powerto the hdd using a floppy drive power adapter that should be part of the adapters from your psu.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 21:00

Sorry for the late reply, I was waiting for a power adapter which, as it turns out, was not the right one.  I've taken pictures of the only (seemingly) applicable plug/adapters that I have at my disposal.

The top is a set of plugs inside the case, the white one fits onto the adapter (the one pictured in bacillus's post) but the other doesn't.  The second picture is another plug in the case, and I think (?) it's the one I'm to use but once again it fits no where on the adapter/drive.  The 3rd and 4th pics are the different adapters I have to connect whatever to whatever, I just can't figure out where they all go!  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 4th, 2011 05:00

Here is what you need. I cannot tell if that bottom picture shows a different version of this.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2011 06:00

Thanks for the help.  Before I buy it, is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816038 the same product (essentially)?  I don't want to purchase another worthless adapter to toss in the drawer because lord knows I'd buy the wrong one again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 4th, 2011 08:00

Yes, that should do.

I need to reiterate that I have yet to see someone get an IDE drive working in an SATA system without either an IDE controller board or USB enclosure. So if you are successful, please let me know.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 4th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for the help.  Before I buy it, is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816038 the same product (essentially)?  I don't want to purchase another worthless adapter to toss in the drawer because lord knows I'd buy the wrong one again.

millierj

The adaptor shown in your link, should work, as will the SATA-2-Molex Adapter adaptor shown HERE, that I've used to convert SATA 15-pin power connectors to 4-pin Molex connectors.

Bev.

4 Posts

February 11th, 2011 20:00

Ok, so I got the drive plugged in and everything (not so much in the right spot in the case, but details...) and it's recognized as a drive on my computer, however, it says that I must format the drive before I can use it.  This would kind of defeat my purpose (to get to the files on the drive), would it not?  Maybe 'format' means something different than it used to, but I doubt it.  Any idea why it's saying this or if there is a workaround?  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 12th, 2011 04:00

Was the drive working correctly when you removed it? Can you explore the drive in My Computer?

No Events found!