Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2015 15:00

Help me factory reset my Inspiron 5520 core i5

I have a blue screen of death error (Unmountable bootvolume) I can't get into login screens on any mode nothing works just restarts so I wanted to reset everything as a last attempt but I don't have the cd. So I bought a cd-r and was going to put what I needed on there and the computer would read it put it into effect. Can someone link me to whst i need or tell me will this even work??

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 26th, 2015 16:00

Hi Oppositeofhood,

Unmountable boot volume could be a few things, possibly a bad hard drive. So you're not going to want to perform a factory reset without diagnosing the problem first. And what I would do first is test your hard drive. 

To test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.
3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.
5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.
6. Select Test System.
7. Select Custom Test.
7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.
9. Click Run Tests.
10. Write down any error messages.

February 26th, 2015 15:00

Basically a got the Blue screen of death randomly and it won't let me get past the log in screen it never appears and my computer resets.Ive tried safe modes ect. I was going to make a cd-r because I lost my original cd so I can possibly factory reset everything. Where can I download the correct files to do this so I can put them on the CD-R and will this read as if it was the original cd? I REALLY NEED HELP AT THIS POINT. I have a Dell Windows 7 Inspiron 5520 i5 laptop

February 26th, 2015 16:00

I don't have the cd so as an alternative I was going to burn it to a CD-R but I don't know where to get the content from and I feel it's the hard drive because when I do diagnostics it won't finish my hard drive so I'm trying my hardest to factory reset it. Do you know where I can get the content from the CD?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 27th, 2015 05:00

You will need to call Dell to purchase a set of recovery media.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 27th, 2015 15:00

Any hard drive diagnostic tool will work. All hard drive manufacturers provide some sort of tool. Many of them can be used to create a bootable CD or flash drive. Seatools is one such utility that works with Seagate drives.

You are wasting your time trying to perform a factory reset until you know your hard drive is good.

February 27th, 2015 16:00

I figured it was the drive because I tried diagnosis and it scans everything but skips the drive and everything works until it's time to log in it resets and you're saying instead of a cd I can put it on my flash drive? I have cd-r s but idk if I need dvd-r s

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 28th, 2015 12:00

Try Seatools. You can download the utility and use it to prepare a bootable CD.

www.seagate.com/.../seatools-dos-guide.pdf

No Events found!