Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2012 10:00

Highly disappointed!!!!

Hello everyone, I have quite the little story that is very frustrating and still unresolved. A couple years ago (2010), i bought a "brand new" dell Inspiron 15R for college, thinking that this computer would be a great starting place for my academic career. Boy was I wrong. Within the first YEAR, I had to contact tech support 3 or 4 times to solve issues this computer was having. And just when I thought everything was finally working well, the hard drive failed, causing the computer to not even make it to the first windows screen upon start-up. To make matters worse, this happened the day before finals week! This was beyond frustrating, but to make matter even worse, my warranty was now expired and i could not get it fixed from dell, awesome. I called their support, only to get some foreign guy named "greg". Greg told me there was nothing he could do, again, awesome. So being the computer girl that i am, a disassembled the laptop, removed the hard drive and started to do some research.  My SAMSUNG model: HM321HI 320 gb hard drive, was apparently recalled 2 years before i purchased this computer. 2 YEARS! Needless to say, i was, and still am pretty upset Dell would use this hunk of  in a computer that they then in turn sold to me. The hard drive is finished, and i knew it so i went ahead and ordered a new drive and installed it perfectly with no complications.  This is when i realized that dell had not sent a cd with the drivers, OS, or anything for this exact situation. I bought and installed Windows 7 back onto the computer and tried my best to install the drivers, and in the right order. However i was largely unsuccessful, and my computer is now collecting dust.  Which brings me to my main point and question, is there any way i can possibly obtain this cd or can someone out there in the world help me install the drivers so i can use this thing? I return to school in a week and would really really like a computer to do my work on. Thank you in advance.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 16th, 2012 12:00

Hi Nitsua010,

Wow, I'm so sorry about all the headaches you're having. The Samsung recall applies to retail drives. The drive that came with your Inspiron 15R is an OEM drive, so I'm afraid the recall does not help you. I'm sorry about that, but this applies to all major manufacturers' systems. :emotion-6:

Now, regarding the Windows 7 reinstallation, my good friend Natakuc has put together an excellent tutorial with great pictures and lots of detail on reinstalling Windows 7 onto a clean hard drive. You don't even need a drivers CD!!!! :emotion-2: He's even got a link to the drivers section of Dell support so you can find the exact drivers you need.

I know how frustrating this can be. :emotion-7: My daughter will be a junior this fall and has been away all summer. So she's been unable to get her failed DVD drive fixed. But we're trying to get it done before she heads back next week. :emotion-1:

No Events found!