Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2009 22:00

How to Delete "Dell PC Restore by Symantec"?

My system is an Inspiron 1720. The upper primary partition on the HDD is 2.5GB used for the "Dell PC Restore by Symantec", as I understand.

First question is, does deleting this partition leave any active s/w around that will miss it? How does one also delete this Symantec s/w? There is no trace of it in the Add/Remove Programs utility. As I understand it, the only functionality that will be damaged will be the functionality of  "Dell Factory Image Restore" way down within the "Advanced Boot Options" menu tree.

Second question is, does deleting the pc restore partition affect the recovery partition? Maybe a better question in this regard, is what is the function of the recovery partition?

Thanks,

Dave

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

July 13th, 2009 03:00

Hi dbird, Deleating this partition will stop you talking your system back to the factory state in the event that something goes wrong. To remove it go to C:\dell\utilities\DSR, then double click on the DSRIRRemv2.exe. However, i would recommend that you keep your factory restore.

11 Posts

July 14th, 2009 18:00

Hello Robin:

Thanks for the reply; that is good information.

I plan to use Norton Ghost to back up a current image of the drive. If I place data on a separate partition, it is then easy to back this up much more frequently than is necessary for the OS/drivers/programs which will still be on C:\. I have had very good results using this strategy on my other systems. Much easier than restoring to factory and then updating and reinstalling apps.

But, it is still not clear what is the relationship/function of the so-called recovery partition. I have seen other Dells which have a recovery partition, but do not have the partition used for PC Restore.

Thanks again,

Dave

11 Posts

September 7th, 2009 15:00

I finally got around to looking for this utility. I have no utilities folder under the c:\Dell\ folder. Also, a search for DSRIRRemv2.exe in non-indexed and hidden folders does not find it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

No Events found!