Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2012 15:00

How to low format server HDD?

I have R210 with stock SATA HDD (Seagate Barracuda ES). I want to erase disk completely and securely. I used Seatools from Seagate for similar disks in past. However I cannot run it on this Dell machine - after Seatools boots and the graphic UI starts the screen goes off completey (some thin line on the top of the screen with mess of coloured pixels, the rest is black).

I tried several different images and also CD and USB and it produces the same result. I guess Seatools are not compatible with Matrox graphics on the server (the same CDs and USB worked OK on my laptop).

Here is the question - what is Dell recommended way to securely erase Dell HDD?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 17:00

Hi Maxima120,

Acronis True Image has a tool to securely erase hard drives. Killdisk is a free tool.

47 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 17:00

Thanks. will try... are these available as bootable images? the disk in question is a system disk so it the eraser must be booted separately...

47 Posts

October 4th, 2012 04:00

Killdisk doesnt work either. it wont start in ahci mode and in ata mode it start to erase but doesnt do anything at all. no disk activity no progress on the screen. waited for 20 min and gave up...

could anyone from Dell possibly chip in in this discussion?

No Events found!