Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2008 23:00

How to "Undo" backup to Recovery drive

I have a new Dell XPS Vista Ultimate system. I attempted to backup my system to the Recovery drive d:. At the first attempt, the software indicated that it did not have enough space but it backed up what it could. Now my Recover drive is out of space and I get an error message upon boot up. How can I "undo" the backup to the Recovery drive d: to gain that space back again but leave the files that the system needs on that drive?

950 Posts

September 27th, 2008 18:00

Sorry but you have destroyed the recovery partition and its recovery data. The recovery partition is not to be backed up to. Wipe it clean and use it for a 3rd party backup program like Ghost or Acronis True Image.

950 Posts

September 27th, 2008 18:00

Wait on whiping it clean I may have misunderstood. Can you see the recovery directory/files on that drive still? If so you will have to carefully delete the backup files you copied on there.

6 Posts

September 27th, 2008 19:00

Yes, I can see the complete drive with various directories. I believe that I just need to know which directories can be deleted (having been created by the MS Backup process) and which ones to leave alone (original Recovery files). Believe me, I will never mess with that drive again!

950 Posts

September 27th, 2008 20:00

Can you upload a screen shot here to take a look at?

6 Posts

September 28th, 2008 00:00

Screen Shot link on my web picture page

http://www.fototime.com/5DC3E13B222E199/orig.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Steve

950 Posts

September 28th, 2008 01:00

Hmmmm well I can't tell sorry. What did you use to backup your files. Check your manual on how the sytem restore works maybe it will explain the folders.

6 Posts

September 28th, 2008 21:00

I used Windows Back Up. At this point, I identified what looked like the back up folder (HOMEVISTA), I moved it to my c: drive temporarily to see if anything else is affected. So far, so good. It appears that the Recovery files may be in Dell/Image folder. There are other folders on the drive but I'm leaving them along.

Thanks

950 Posts

September 28th, 2008 23:00

You are correct the Dell restore is in the Dell\Image folder. Sorry for my limited knowledge I am still mostly using XP.

6 Posts

September 29th, 2008 01:00

Thanks for your help.

Since I do not plan to touch the Recovery drive d: again it's of no consequence, but there are other folders other than the Dell/Image folder such as Tools, Users, Windows, etc. Do you know if the back up created these folders or are they part of the original Recovery files?

950 Posts

September 29th, 2008 14:00

Sorry I really don't know how Vista backs up. I have never used it. I use a 3rd party backup program.

6 Posts

September 29th, 2008 22:00

Thanks for trying anyway.
No Events found!