Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2017 11:00

How to recover my 1TB USB 3.0 external drive model PDB1000A?

I tries to recognize with Ubuntu and Windows, but never finds the USB disk.

How can I open its case?
There's any tool to try to recover my information inside it?

Thanks a lot.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2017 12:00

It's going to depend on several things:

What has failed?  If it's a 3.5" drive, it may be the power supply.  If it's a 2.5" drive, have you tried another cable?

Many of these -- if they're pre-built like WD's Passport, etc., don't have standard SATA connectors on them, so you cannot simply take them out of the external enclosure and mount them in another system.

Check with the manufacturer of the drive as to what they recommend as far as a test utility - WD and Seagate both have utilities that will test the drive to see what's gone wrong.  Use that - and go from there.  If the drive won't spin up or mount, there is always data recovery (if the data is valuable enough -- the cost starts at $600 or so and can easily escalate rapidly from there).

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 12:00

Hi, Thanks for the answer.

It's an 2.5 and I tested with different cables.

The windows, recognize a dell driver isntall it, but does not finish the configuration

The internal hardware is Samsung ST1000LM024. Can I try in a different adaptor??

It's supose and hdd error, or an adapter error??

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 24th, 2017 04:00

You can try it in another system, but this model is well known for failure -- I suspect the drive has failed and you'll need to consider data recovery if you need the data on the drive.

Can you feel the drive spinning?  These have a bad reputation for not spinning up when the heads stick to the platters.

September 13th, 2017 02:00

Recovering data from storage medium is always a tricky task. First you need to check how your external drive got corrupted or is it detecting. I would recommend you to try Windows Data Recovery Software which can be able to recover your data from external drive. You can use Quick Recovery for Windows to recover corrupt partition table and boot sector. Data can be recovered from formatted Partitions of Hard Drives. Sometimes, when you delete the data by mistake, we can use Quick Recovery for Windows software. You can also recover the data from corrupted file system. You can employ this Software to recover deleted files and folders.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 15:00

This is a commercial software link -- it is NOT windows data recovery.

No Events found!