Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 11th, 2003 02:00

I cannot get my DVD player to play DVD movies.

I have a Dimension 4550 Series with a 16X DVD-Rom drive and Cyberlink Software Decoding for DVD Drives w/Altec Lansing ADA 995. I have Windows XP.

I still cannot get my DVD rom to recognize a DVD movie (these are DVDs that were bought, not burned). The light blinks, like it is trying to read the DVD, then stops. Then when I run PowerDVD and hit play, it tells me to insert a disk in drive D: (my DVD drive). When I go into "My computer" and try to read drive D:, it tells me "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatable with Windows". I can read other CDs from the this drive. I have even installed
programs from this drive. I just cannot play any DVD movies.

I have tried unintalling the drivers and DVD software and reinstalling it. I have tried it several times, without success. I have even downloaded and installed the latest patch from Dell support for PowerDVD version 4 (411wps.zip). I still get the same result. I also tried installing a different DVD player: I downloaded Maximus DVD and installed it with its drivers, but still got the same message with that DVD player. I then uninstalled the drivers and both DVD software again and reinstalled just PowerDVD, with no success. I have done several searches on the dell support site, but have not found anything to help me.

I read the problem that Bruin70 had, and it sounds like the same problem I am having, but he has a different system. I even tried uninstalling my IDE drivers and letting windows reinstall it. This also did not work.

I have not been able to play DVD movies since I purchased this PC over a month ago. I am running out of options and need your help. I am very knowledgeable of PC's and usually am able to find solutions. But this one has me stumped. If you can send me any suggestions, that would be great. But if necessary, I would like to try and
have someone call me and walk through this with me. I have called and talked to someone in tech support twice already, without success, but am willing to try again if there are no other options.

740 Posts

May 11th, 2003 03:00

I found this on Predators CD/RW site.

Note: With Dells systems, you need to insert a DVD that is for your Region the first time you use the DVD player in order to Set the Region Code. It is not recommended to use a non-coded disc the first time.

Click here and browse around, you may find a solution.

6 Posts

May 17th, 2003 17:00

When i open PowerDVD and look at the information, it says that the region code has not been detected. How do I know if I have a DVD with my region code? Is there another way to determine what the region code is set for my DVD-rom drive? Is there a way to change the region code if it is not correct? The driver for my DVD-rom drive is: LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163.

5 Posts

May 17th, 2003 23:00

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

You might check the following site out.....has a lot of good information on CD/DVD......as well as links to other valuable sites for the CD/DVD user...

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools

May 18th, 2003 03:00

To determine/set the DVD region, right-click "My Computer." Go to Properties-Hardware-Device Manager and find the DVD drive. Under its properties, you should see a "DVD Region" tab. Normally you would see region 1, with four available changes. If a region has not been set, and asssuming you want to watch U.S.-encoded DVDs, select region 1. Since you're actually tweaking the firmware inside the drive, you don't want to change regions unnecessarily due to the limited number of changes allowed. 

6 Posts

May 19th, 2003 02:00

I went into the DVD region tab and saw that there was no region set for my DVD drive. So I tried to set the region to region 1, but got this message. "Unable to update region setting. Please make sure the drive contains a region 1 media and you have administration privilege". As far as I know, I have administration privilege. So am I correct in assuming that there may be something wrong with the drive or firmware? Any other suggestions?

May 19th, 2003 03:00

Does the region change count equal five? It should if this is a new drive and has never read a DVD; as has been pointed out above, the region will be set the first time the drive successfully reads a disc. Regarding administrator privileges, in Control Panel-User Accounts, examine your account ID; it should say "computer administrator" under the ID. If it does, and you still can't read a DVD, I'd guess something is wrong with the drive.

Alternatively, I saw in some other thread here that a new DVD drive was not being properly recognized because the BIOS settings were not set to "automatic" for the new drive; you might check that as well.

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2003 22:00

The region change count does equal 5, and I do have administrator privileges. I also checked the BIOS settings, and it was set on "automatic". Therefore, I am assuming that something is wrong with the drive. Although, I am able to read any other format, other than DVD from this drive. I have used the drive to play music and install programs. Is it possible that there is a problem with the firmware? If so, are there any updates for the firmware that I can install. Anything recommended by Dell?

If I do need a new drive, I would think that I could have someone local to come out and install a new drive. This is a new PC and I haven't had success yet reading anything with a DVD format. If I end up needing a new drive, what is the best way of getting the help I need?

By the way, I do appreciate the help I have gotten on this forum. It has been more helpful than trying to go over it on the phone with technical support.

If you do have any other suggestions, I would like to try it before trying to get a new drive. Thanks.

May 23rd, 2003 00:00

It looks like you're doing the correct diagnostic things, and I suspect your drive is defective. There's just one thing I'd check before trying to get a new drive--is the DVD-ROM drive correctly jumpered as the "master? This is an easy thing to get wrong and could explain your problems.

Message Edited by HRSPartners on 05-22-2003 08:15 PM

740 Posts

May 23rd, 2003 01:00

Have you tried updating the firmware for the drive? You say it is a 16x DVD-ROM, is this the Lite On? If so, the firmware is at the following link.

LiteOn 16X DVD, Firmware, Multi OS, Multi Language, Multi System, v.GDHJ, A06

Release Date: 5/15/2003

One more possibility, try reinstalling or updating your audio drivers.

6 Posts

May 24th, 2003 00:00

I am not sure how to check my drive to see if it is jumpered as the master. Can you explain that to me?

Thanks

28 Posts

May 26th, 2003 00:00

I have the same EXACT problem with the same system and the same error message.  I just discovered this forum after spending quite a while on the tech line.  They have concluded that I have a bad DVD player and are sending me a new one.  I will try to follow up and tell you if it fixes the problem. 

1 Message

May 26th, 2003 10:00

Is this firmware (R60826.EXE) for DVD+RW discs to be played on the liteon 163?

28 Posts

May 28th, 2003 22:00

I am just following up on my problem.  I recieved a new (reconditioned) DVD player from Dell today.  I installed it and everything is just perfect.  I can't understand why a DVD player would go bad in just a month and a half, but I guess weirder things have happened.  Anyway, I hope you figure out your problem and post up if you find a fix.  I was also satisfied with Dell's delivery on a new player.  Only took 2 days.  Now I just have to send the old one back...

Eric

6 Posts

June 8th, 2003 19:00

I wanted to follow up on my problem. I did have someone come out and replace my DVD-rom drive. It was quick and worked immediately. Although I am glad that Dell replaced by drive and it is now working fine, I also wonder how a bad drive got installed on a new PC. I would think that it would have been detected during testing. I guess it happens. I do appreciate all those who gave advise on my problem. By going through this process, I did learn a lot about DVDs that I did not know before.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2008 03:00

I still need 411 on how to make my 4550 dvd player play my dvd-r dvds

No Events found!