Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2007 18:00

IDE Hard drive in Dimension 9200

I have a new Dimension 9200 running Media Center Edition, with 320 GB SATA hard drive, and 16XDVD+/-RW drive and I want to connect 2 "old" IDE 250 GB hard drive.

I got a PCI IDE card, and after installation it turns out that it was a "Promise RAID console SCSI Processor Device" Fasttrak 100 TX2. The diskette included just say Promise TX100.

After connection of one disk, the boot sequent start with scanning IDE drives, and after scanning do the booting stop.

If I remove the hard drive, then it's scanning for IDE drives and then offers the possibility to continue the booting.

Is it because it's a RAID controller?

Second, how do I make a boot diskette with MS-DOS that also recognises the build in DVD+/-RW disk. To be used together with Ghost.

11.9K Posts

January 28th, 2007 19:00

Hobbit5 wrote:
I have a new Dimension 9200 running Media Center Edition, with 320 GB SATA hard drive, and 16XDVD+/-RW drive and I want to connect 2 "old" IDE 250 GB hard drive.

I got a PCI IDE card, and after installation it turns out that it was a "Promise RAID console SCSI Processor Device" Fasttrak 100 TX2. The diskette included just say Promise TX100.

After connection of one disk, the boot sequent start with scanning IDE drives, and after scanning do the booting stop.

If I remove the hard drive, then it's scanning for IDE drives and then offers the possibility to continue the booting.

Is it because it's a RAID controller?

Second, how do I make a boot diskette with MS-DOS that also recognises the build in DVD+/-RW disk. To be used together with Ghost.

Let's focus on one thing at a time. 

Did you boot the machine with the Promise card installed, NO DRIVES ATTACHED TO IT, and install the driver so the card is recognized by the computer, THEN shutdown, connect the drives to the card and reboot?

5 Posts

January 28th, 2007 20:00

Hello Rick

I just went through the system once more.

First Install the Fasttrak TX2 card and started the PC, then following text appeared:

Fasttrak TX2 ™ Bios Version 2.00.0.24

(c) 1995-2001 Promise Technology, Inc. All right reserved

Scanning IDE drivers ……..

No Array is defined

Press to enter .. Fast Build (tm) Utility or

Press to continue Booting.

Entering System /Hardware do I get following:

<-SCSI and RAID controllers

<-Intel(R) ICH8R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller

<-Windows Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device

<-WinXP Promise Fast Trak100 TX2/TX (tm) Controller

Close down the PC install the Hard Drive.

Then:

Fasttrak TX2 ™ Bios Version 2.00.0.24

(c) 1995-2001 Promise Technology, Inc. All right reserved

Scanning IDE drivers ……..

Press to enter .. Fast Build (tm) Utility (for a short time, and then)

Serial ATA AHCI Bios Version iSrc 1.02.23  08012006

Copyrights (c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation

Xx This version supports only Hard disk and CDROM drives

No area available for command list / command Table / FIS

AHCI Bios not installed

Intel (R) Matrix storage Manager option ROM v6.0.0.1022 LCH8R

Copyright (c) 2003-06 Intell Corporation all Right Reserved

Then Nothing

If I enter the Fast Build do I get a menu with 6 possibilities, 1-5 does not work (nothing happens) 6 = Chose Controller Configuration give following screen:

Halt on Error           Disable

Channel 1 Interrupt : 9        I/O port CCC0

Channel 2 Interrupt : 9        I/O port CCC8

I can only change the Disable to Enable.

No Events found!