Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2007 23:00

Inspiron 1100 HD prob.

I knocked my Insp. 1100 on the floor.:smileysurprised: I sent it to Dell, they sent it back. Need a new hd. OK, go to BestBuy, buy a new 80gb Seagate hd. Go to install. Pin arrangement is different. There is a "jumper" (Dell calls it an edge connector) for lack of a better word, which won't fit the Seagate hd. The OE hd is a pin-type arrangement, the Seagate is not the same.  Box for new hd says "Serial ATA".  Is this the wrong hd? Do I now have to eat this (box is opened, I assume BB won't take it back) and buy another hd? I hate computers.:smileymad:
Kurt

Message Edited by GSPKurt on 02-25-2007 08:02 PM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2007 00:00

You are correct that you cannot use a SATA drive in your system. You will need to order an EIDE drive, not SATA.

6 Posts

February 26th, 2007 00:00

Oh, joy.

Thanks for the response. Anyone want to buy a Seagate SATA 80gb hd? Unused?

2.2K Posts

March 1st, 2007 20:00

GSPKurt,

I am sorry that you got the wrong type of drive.

Attempting to sell something on the forum is a violation of the Dell Community Forum Terms of Service, but I am going to assume you were joking and leave this here.

Personally, I would be on my way back to Best Buy trying to arrange an exchange for an EIDE drive.

Good luck.

6 Posts

March 1st, 2007 21:00

Yes, I was joking. I took it back to BestBuy and exchanged it for an EIDE drive.
No Events found!